The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Testing the water.

SUPRALOOPY

I have a contact that can do fibreglass moulding and is moving into carbon in the near future. I have gone to look at what they are doing and have to say I'm quite impressed. They had copied the stock bonnet and vented it, I asked to see it fitted and the gaps and lines were good (straight not wavey like some copies) I was asked for my input and it was taken on board. The few I saw were a test batch and they are going to do what I suggested.

Anyway this test batch are for sale but IMO will need a little fettling to fit them nicely, but even this test batch are better than some I have seen/fitted.

The price for these is £210+P&P of about £30 insured. For an extra cost these can be fitted/painted. Sorry for the bad photos I only went to look and check out the quality.

There will be other styles and other parts done soon.

Thanks for looking

Dave.

10042010097.jpg

10042010098.jpg

10042010099.jpg

10042010100.jpg

10042010101.jpg

It'd be nice to see a front pic with the bonnet closed, but to be brutally honest, the fitment doesn't look very good to me :( Sorry Dave.

Thats fine mate the pics are not very good. it was just put on to show the lines etc. I did say they would need fettling to fit nicely and I have advised on the things that need correcting, as with all copies its never a straight bolt on is it. Also thats why they are cheaper;)

What's the score with the first picture Dave? Is it just not pushed down?

Its open mate yes. I just quickly took some pics before it was taken off. These pics were never meant to be shown. But I have been told that they are not going do any more with this batch and correct the next ones. Thats why they are cheep;)

Its open mate yes. I just quickly took some pics before it was taken off. These pics were never meant to be shown. But I have been told that they are not going do any more with this batch and correct the next ones. Thats why they are cheep;)

Fair enough! I'd be interested to see what they do with the next lot once they take onboard what you said.

Will they be doing different styles?

that with a carbon wrap would be gooooooood. cheap as chips though! fitment is an issue with anything these days but at that price i think its worth it!

Thanks Adnan. These are in the development stages as they have just started, but with good input they can correct the little niggles that always happen with pattern parts. Suggestions have been made to making other carbon bonnet parts also, active front lips, carbon bonnets including uk spec replicas with all the fittings funnels etc, shine auto rear diffuser replica etc etc! But lets wait and see eh.:) (don't run before you can walk etc...)

Thanks Adnan. These are in the development stages as they have just started, but with good input they can correct the little niggles that always happen with pattern parts. Suggestions have been made to making other carbon bonnet parts also, active front lips, carbon bonnets including uk spec replicas with all the fittings funnels etc, shine auto rear diffuser replica etc etc! But lets wait and see eh.:) (don't run before you can walk etc...)

OOOhhhhhh! Shine Auto Rear Diffuser! :D Get me one! ;)

....which you can then fit :sly:

I hear the fibreglass bonnets vibrate with speed, do carbon once also vibrate? I am guessing not

Depends how they're made, fibreglass will generally have more flex than a carbon version due to the structural properties of the both the resin and material.

There are different means of producing a carbon product, cheap and cheerful 'wet lay' which will normally have some fibreglass as well to keep the carbon down on bends...or 'vac formed' whereby the carbon is held in place with a vacuum so there shouldnt be any fibreglass...giving a stronger and lighter product.

Hopefully they'll be using a good quality UV stable epoxy resin for their carbon fibre composites....otherwise you'll all be spraying them in a couple of months due to the resin going milky from a UV reaction.

Depends how they're made, fibreglass will generally have more flex than a carbon version due to the structural properties of the both the resin and material.

There are different means of producing a carbon product, cheap and cheerful 'wet lay' which will normally have some fibreglass as well to keep the carbon down on bends...or 'vac formed' whereby the carbon is held in place with a vacuum so there shouldnt be any fibreglass...giving a stronger and lighter product.

Hopefully they'll be using a good quality UV stable epoxy resin for their carbon fibre composites....otherwise you'll all be spraying them in a couple of months due to the resin going milky from a UV reaction.

Taken on board and will be mentioned. The carbon stuff will be vac formed, I believe that is what the pump is for?

Edited by SUPRALOOPY (see edit history)

I'd imagine it would be a vacuum pump to help stop bubbling?

Bonnets look good enough Dave! No doubt your magic hands can turn them into a master piece and at that price its very good!

Will be interested in a diffuser and active front lip when they start making them!

Taken on board and will be mentioned. The carbon stuff will be vac formed, I believe that is what the pump is for?

Yes, the pump will be used to create the vacuum.

They may use the wet-lay method (brushing the resin on the material as its added) and using the pump to remove air within the vac bag to keep the materials in place, or they may use the resin infusion method whereby the pump sucks resin from a bucket through through the vac bag/materials.

From my experience, the latter works best for bling items, but there is a skill to it to ensure the resin is distributed throughout the composite under vacuum.

It'd be nice to see a front pic with the bonnet closed, but to be brutally honest, the fitment doesn't look very good to me

Homer, can you expand what you mean for me please? I would be interested in knowing what is viewed as good and bad fitment. I clearly have a lot to learn as I did not realise the 1st pic was with the bonnet not closed!

Dave, in my opinion they look great. Hope to get another Supra after my wedding and will certainly be coming to you again :)

Homer, can you expand what you mean for me please? I would be interested in knowing what is viewed as good and bad fitment. I clearly have a lot to learn as I did not realise the 1st pic was with the bonnet not closed!

Dave, in my opinion they look great. Hope to get another Supra after my wedding and will certainly be coming to you again :)

Its down but doesn't look fully closed mate.

I do think these look good though.