The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dual Intake - TT

jimojameso

I don't know if any of you guys have been following the thread on supraforums about dual intakes for the TT. A lot of the guys seem to be happy with them claiming up to another 25WHP. I find this hard to believe but just wondered what you guys think?? Does look nice under the bonnet though :)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523155

Surely you could only make that work if you're running TTC - defeats the point of twin turbos if you ask me.

Edit: First guy to show a dynograph claims his boost pressure went up by removing the MAF. There's your power increase right there, but it makes NO sense to get more boost from that mod.

Edited by Ark (see edit history)

Surely you could only make that work if you're running TTC - defeats the point of twin turbos if you ask me.

Why is that relevant? TTC or not makes no difference to the intake layout.

I think it looks cool and the bigger more direct flow to the turbos can only improve things.

He's eliminated the IACV on the 2nd turbo, so there is no way to close off the 2nd turbo when you don't want it. Plus, reading the thread the bloke who is punting these is making some odd claims:

1: boost pressure went up but no other mod happened to cause this

2: He runs a JDM ECU, but the car has a US spec MAF sensor

3: He claims that removing the MAF sensor has derestricted the intake to cause the boost increase (doesn't work like that!) but as others have proven the stock airbox can easily flow enough for 600+ BHP and the MAF sensor isn't a restriction until ~500 BHP.

If you like cool looks then great, but I don't think that this will gain power, improve flow or provide the cold, well filtered air that the factory system benefits from. It comes back to the old argument that Toyota must have spend tonnes of money designing a system, when they could have stuck a couple of tubes with sponges over the end and called it job done. Doesn't make any sense.