The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who knows what this is?

Tim_v_M

Hi all,

Ever since I've my Supra I'm asking myself what some things are, why they are on my car, and if every Supra has them.

Who knows what this is? :

Its a small "thing" on the right on the dash. Can't push it down, it doesn't flash. (Also notice my freshly resprayed windscreenwipers :D )

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2396/foto0202j.jpg

Under the dash, is a small red switch, when pushed the high beam goes on. Why is there such button as I can also do that with the indicator.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3686/foto0203t.jpg

And last, a device at the left bottom of the frontwindow. When contact is on, there is a red light that glows. It says: "Interwave" on it. There is a cable that runs from it to the other half of the dash and than goes in it.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2053/foto0204d.jpg

So, what is it, what does it do and does all the cars have those things?

Thanks!

Could your third item be a snooper or some kind of camera detector?

As said, the thing on your dash is a sensor for you climate control.

The other thing is odd if it turns you full beam on, I'd presume it would serve as a rear fog switch if your car is an import.

Could your third item be a snooper or some kind of camera detector?

As said, the thing on your dash is a sensor for you climate control.

The other thing is odd if it turns you full beam on, I'd presume it would serve as a rear fog switch if your car is an import.

Don't think its a camera detector, havn't heard it beeping or something at a speedcamera.

The brand is Interwave i guess, but didn't find something for that name.

Maybe the seller, JamieP, knows what it is...

Follow the wire from the thing in the bottom left of your window. I bet it goes to under the carpet and near the ecu, where you might find the remains of an old GPS unit used when it was in Japan. I had the same, covered in rust...due to my aerotop leaking in the past :) I reckon it will be the GPS receiver, the same as mine way. chucked it out.

red switch, fog light that has been wired up incorrectly I would think.

Blob on the right, climate sensor for your climate control.

Edited by jackso11 (see edit history)

looks like a automatic headlight sensor to me...had a few with them on...has it got a button on it? and maybe on the side too?

You're talking about the thing at my front window? It has no buttons on it. What I've just noticed is that there is a little wire that used to go to a small sticker on the window. (Isn't connected anymore)

Follow the wire from the thing in the bottom left of your window. I bet it goes to under the carpet and near the ecu, where you might find the remains of an old GPS unit used when it was in Japan. I had the same, covered in rust...due to my aerotop leaking in the past :) I reckon it will be the GPS receiver, the same as mine way. chucked it out.

red switch, fog light that has been wired up incorrectly I would think.

Blob on the right, climate sensor for your climate control.

Can't follow the wire as it runs behind the dash, but a GPS receiver could be so. I'll look soon if I can find some remains of a GPS unit.

That switch thing, possible wired up incorrectly. However it only works when lights switched on, and also the "head beam indicator" on the dash lights up.

is your interwave thingy something to do with a mobile device of some description?

and I would say the switch is for your rear fogs... but wired up wrong!

Don't know about any mobile device on the car...

If it says 'conlight' on it then it'll be one of these, if not then I dunno!

It doesn't say 'conlight'. So maybe it isn't one.

Thanks all for the thinking!

Take a look at Interwave Global. They are in the business of "tracking of cell phones via GPS and Cells. Information via data and satelite maps."

Could be something to do with one of their products?

Could be, but can't find a picture of their products. But I think it is.

They are tracking you :search:

Maybe i'll cut the wire XD

whilst we are on the topic of 'who know what it is' im still yet to discover what one particular switch on the dash does after nearly 4 years of ownership. its on the right hand side below the ignition, its round with a little red light on it. any ideas?