The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fair price for spraying a stock spoiler?

NOS

whats that in squid? 140? bumpers/skirts are usualy arround the 200 quid mark i think so seems ok to me.

£140 sterling.

If it's a normal price then that's cool. It just seemed a little higher than I expected.

Thanks Guigsy.

Seems a little on the dear side, but as long as it's a proper job, alot of people don't realise the preparation work that goes into things like these, sanding down, correcting any chips etc. priming, spraying in a controlled environment, baking and polishing, it's all time mate ;)

I don't think there shold be much effort going into a spoiler, there shouldn't be any chips or anything that needs repairing on somehting up on the top of the car.

I painted a motorbike myself once, borrowed a spray shop off a mate while he wasn't at work. So I know exactly how much prep goes into it and how much skill is needed. Loads, but on a spoiler, should be easy.

I know what goes into it lol, but its not a large part, not metal...i get what your saying but on average for a part like that, it SHOULDNT be more than £100

I'm not disagreeing with you, but try arguing that point to a bodyshop, they're going to charge what they feel the job is worth, price is not going to be up for negotiation, if they have to take a painter off of a larger, more profitable job to paint a spoiler it's going to be have to worth their while for a start.

At the end of the day, if the OP feels the cost is too much, simply shop around until you find a price you're happy to pay, simples ;)

I don't think there shold be much effort going into a spoiler, there shouldn't be any chips or anything that needs repairing on somehting up on the top of the car.

I painted a motorbike myself once, borrowed a spray shop off a mate while he wasn't at work. So I know exactly how much prep goes into it and how much skill is needed. Loads, but on a spoiler, should be easy.

Painting I find is usually the smaller part of the task, the preparation is generally the time consuming part of it, it's still got to be sanded down, primed, painted, lacquered, flatted and polished, be it a spoiler, a bonnet or a bumper, the process is generally the same, how shouldn't there be any chips etc. on a spoiler? It may not have been damaged on the car but it may have been chipped etc. when it was removed and/or stored, it could even have been damaged by a projectile loaf of Hovis whilst trying to get "action" shots ;)

Edited by Kev_A (see edit history)

I'm not disagreeing with you, but try arguing that point to a bodyshop, they're going to charge what they feel the job is worth, price is not going to be up for negotiation, if they have to take a painter off of a larger, more profitable job to paint a spoiler it's going to be have to worth their while for a start.

At the end of the day, if the OP feels the cost is too much, simply shop around until you find a price you're happy to pay, simples ;)

Painting I find is usually the smaller part of the task, the preparation is generally the time consuming part of it, it's still got to be sanded down, primed, painted, lacquered, flatted and polished, be it a spoiler, a bonnet or a bumper, the process is generally the same, how shouldn't there be any chips etc. on a spoiler? It may not have been damaged on the car but it may have been chipped etc. when it was removed and/or stored, it could even have been damaged by a projectile loaf of Hovis whilst trying to get "action" shots ;)

Yep i agree with you:)