The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon TRD spoiler wing cloudy lacquer

Newgendesign

Hi guys been a while...

Got my Supra back on the road and loving it.

Sold my Boxster S after a brief 2 year of relative enjoyment and back to the car that Ive owned for 6 years. Still pulls strong and looks great. Been under wraps for a while and SOR|n for a few months but its as lively and reliable as ever.

Ive missed it!

Anyways - one issue thats cropped up.

The TRD style carbon wing has become a little cloudy - the top part seems to have suffered a little weathering that looks like its part of the lacquer. Is there nayway to treat this without damaging the carbon. A body shop tried buffing it out which helped a bit but was looking for a better solution.

Must be a common problem with Evos, etc too as they share a similar carbon wing set up thast exposed to the sun and elements I guess.

I may be tempted to sell on as I wouldnt mind a low-level wing to replace it perhaps...

Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

To bump this thread, does anyone else have any other suggestions bar wet and drying an entire carbon blade? As I've got a genuine TRD blade that's done this I'm looking for more solid advice on where to start on this one :)

Also has anyone done this, had the cloudy issue and also found a way to prevent it reoccurring? I hear that the TRD carbon bonnets are also prone to this. Maybe we have the wrong kind of sunshine.

Edit : Hmmm, seems like water under the laquer :(

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?147106-TRD-style-CF-wings...discolouration&highlight=TRD+cloudy

Wonder if should merge these two threads in fact?

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

Try C4 permanent trim restorer from http://www.gtechniq.com.I've just done my carbon spoiler,which was suffering from white spots,and it has worked a treat.Not cheap at £29.99 for 15ml,but it goes a fair way.Have a look at their instruction video for using this stuff.Its on the wiper scuttle of a Porsche.From white back to carbon.It will do any faded trim.It puts a coating on the trim which they say will last for up to two years.

Hello Jim.It is just wipe on.Making sure the surface is completety free from polish,wax etc.It is the time consuming job.I bought isoproponol off ebay(cheap).If the surface is not absoloutly clean the C4 will not take properly.Application is really simple.Wipe on,make sure all of the surface is covered,then a light buff off.Was daft enough not to take a before pic(Spoiler was getting badf white streaks and spots.Cleaning with polish etc. would bring off;but would not last too long) Will post an after pic.It is genuine,no polish.Used it on the black trim of a Clio.Amazing.Normal polish applications can be made on top.

Are you sure your wing is genuine TRD, i thought all the carbon type were replicas

Mines doing the same so im going to attempt to flat it with wet and dry and respray the clear coat and if its no good i'll spray it Black.

I did buy the blade 2nd hand - I only say it was due to the part of the wing that hasn't faded (maybe previous owner had just applied a sticker - see attachment

b;3143017']Check out my old thread about 1/4 of the way down, had the "cloudy'" thing happening to my bonnet - wet sanded it, polished back up.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?179041-Few-pics-of-my-car-after-a-good-wash-amp-polish

Just to show the kind of results that can be got form the sanding route. :thumbs:

That's a good result, it'll be finding the time to do that for me :(

Try C4 permanent trim restorer from www.gtechniq.com.I've just done my carbon spoiler,which was suffering from white spots,and it has worked a treat.Not cheap at £29.99 for 15ml,but it goes a fair way.Have a look at their instruction video for using this stuff.Its on the wiper scuttle of a Porsche.From white back to carbon.It will do any faded trim.It puts a coating on the trim which they say will last for up to two years.

I may give this a go, then if not go for the sanding method

TRD.jpg