The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP! with '88 wires?

Guest jeanebop

How mechanically inclined are you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How mechanically inclined are you?

• What I don't know now, I will.
    • I knew stuff, and thats enough.
    • Once in a while I'll get it done.
    • I'll let someone else get it.

Guest jeanebop

Hey Ya'll! Been told to get with a supra club (was told they existed from another Supra owner who worked at a Toyota dealer in Mississippi. This was back when I first started rebuilding my '88 Toyota Supra 3 VERY LONG years ago. Several times I thought I was done, I really do pray this time I really am. BUT…

I REALLY DO NEED HELP to hopefully finish soon!!!!

I have a 1988-Supra with 7M-GE motor, (obviously non turbo) with a manual trans. Does anyone know where the wires go > as they come out of the wire harness?

OR

Can anyone tell me "where a few wires belong?”

FYI:All 3 of the wires in question have the same end (like for a screw).. Could be a ground, but I’m pretty sure one went to positive side of battery. But I’m not sure, and if so, which one?

1. 2 wires come out of the wire harness by fuse box #2. (located right at battery).

2. Another exits the wire harness along with the starter solenoid plug, and the two wires that go back to the transmission (M/T),

3. ALSO- what/how many wires actually go to battery, and where do they go/end up? Like- doesn’t one of the positive (+)cables go directly to starter? That’s how I had it, but the starter would just go clunk, clunk. Tried to jump solenoid, this did nothing. So I touched one at a time to + side of battery.

CHECK THIS OUT… The + battery wire, that was wired straight to starter, shorted out so badly that the wire practically melted when I routed it back to + battery Weard ha? It’s shorting out BAD for some reason. But WHY???

The Schematic I have is actually for a 1990, and not 1988. I know for a fact that there are ‘some’ differences in ’88 opposed to any other year. But even IF I had the right schematic, it wouldn’t explain where anything came out of the wire harness. And I’m not totally clear on how to read it anyway.

I cleaned and redid EVERYTHING including the fuse boxes (as they had fuses soldered in, rewrapped fuse links, etc.). I also Re taped the entire wire harness. I had marked them, so this confusion wouldn't happen, but the marker rubbed/smeared off of a few. I would really hate to have to redo all. It looks SOOOOOO beautiful!!!> Everything is spotless. But its all worthless if I don’t get to run it.

Does anyone have a 1988 Supra w/7M-GE to compare? Can anyone help me some how? Cause I really do love my car!

Thanks steve! Guess this is a whole nother thingy to register? What is the differance?

We're not affiliated with each other I'm afraid, we're totally different forums under different ownership and membership. Although having said that, many of our members have met many of their members. :)

Good luck fixing your mk3, I thought they were cool when I first saw one as a kid and still do.

Guest 2eagles-2008

I used to run a mk3 and while there are small differences in the wiring between early and later cars the basics are the same so your schematics should be accurate.Haynes do an owners workshop manual which has wiring diagrams in and I know it is on sale in the states as thats where I bought mine ,I can't remember the isbn for the book but the good thing in the states is you cant sell a car unless you release service info so that helps loads.Sorry I can't be more help but hope you get sorted I loved my mk3 turbo.