The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New and looking to buy

Wyntersun

Hi everyone,

Im new to the Supra forum, but not so new to the world of Toyota's. Previously had a 94 Celica GT4

Now have a 1998 SSIII Beams VVTi

Have been recently thinking about moving onto a Supra, have always loved them and now at an age where the insurance shouldn't be too bad :)

Im looking for a stock/unmodified UK spec auto or manual Supra ideally in black, but any other colour wont go missed in good shape all round, mechanically, bodywork etc.

Or if the right one come up a late spec JDM or Aero Top.

Am i right in thinking that the UK Supra was never offered as an Aero top?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Wyntersun (see edit history)

Thanks guys,

Is there anything I need to look out for on a Supra when buying one? (suspension,engine, gearbox, etc)

I would imagine it would be similar to a Celica, check suspension arms, fig'8 etc. Do supra's have fig 8's like the Celica GT4?

Also, if im looking for a UK spec what what engine versions are there. N/A, Turbo and TT? 5spd, 6spd, auto?

Im not after mega speed, but im sure what ever I get will be more power then my 2.0l.

And finally are JDM aero tops N/A auto's or is it rare to find a manual?

Sorry for all the questions, Supra's are new to me and would like to be clued up :)

Is there anything I need to look out for on a Supra when buying one? (suspension,engine, gearbox, etc)

Nothing in particular, there's a buyers guide here (You may need to pay your membership to see it).

Do supra's have fig 8's like the Celica GT4?

No.

Also, if im looking for a UK spec what what engine versions are there. N/A, Turbo and TT? 5spd, 6spd, auto?

You're going to pay a premium if you want a UK spec, they're not exactly common. They are TT Auto or Manual (6spd), but the Manual's are very rare.

And finally are JDM aero tops N/A auto's or is it rare to find a manual?

NA Auto or TT Auto (TT Auto Aero's are rarer), the only Manual JDM Aerotop's are converted Auto's.

Edited by AlexM (see edit history)

Thanks guys,

Sorry for all the questions, Supra's are new to me and would like to be clued up :)

Hi Matt,

Check as much as you can, most are getting on now and unless these items have been changed they will need doing, if not now but in the near future.

Main items that are overlooked are hoses, coil pack connectors, brake seals, brake lines, fuel lines, intercoolers, radiators, heater matrix, a/c rad, suspension arms etc etc

UK spec cars are only 93-96 and all with 3.0 twin turbo engines with either the autobox or 6 speed manual, there were only approx 400 auto's and 200 6 speeds.

Thanks guys,

I'm not mechanically minded but I think you'll need all of these items on your list so if they are missing, walk away:p

Welcome to the forum matey and I hope all goes well with your search. Now get ready for Suprapod ;)

Welcome mate, Nice Celica's

Buy a members car if you can as at least it will be known to the club and have some sort of past history, perhaps alot if owned by a couple. I would forget the likes of ebay etc. Looks in the Supra classifieds or contact JM on here in the traders section