The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hellish brake noise.

ellis

Don't know if anybody could shed some light on this before I book the car in for a check over:

For a few days now, when I turn tight there's a sound like binding brakes coming from the front passenger side wheel - a bit like a seal barking - a dry barking groan!. It's not the power steering pump by the sounds of it, more like a binding pad or stuck piston. Doesn't happen when turning left at all. Doesn't do it all the time but today driving to the NEC it was really bad - seems to happen more and gets worse when it's warm and the brakes are hotter.

Thoughts?

Have you got Jap spec calipers?

If you have then I bet one of the clips is rubbing on the inside of the disc. I've had this in the past and sounds horrific. Either bend the clip out of the way or file the edge down so it doesnt touch the disc.

Have you got Jap spec calipers?

If you have then I bet one of the clips is rubbing on the inside of the disc. I've had this in the past and sounds horrific. Either bend the clip out of the way or file the edge down so it doesnt touch the disc.

What he said, I had the same problem when I turned right now it's gone just take the wheel off and have a look

Ellis mate, dont book it in, Im back the weekend, want me to have a look for you? I reckon it could be the dust shield catching the disc

Cheers mate - that's much appreciated. I must admit, I've had the dust shield catching on a previous Supra and it doesn't sound like that either. I've got a drive to the NEC and back again tomorrow so will check what I can this morning and see if my garage can have a quick shifty! Cheers bud - may call on you yet though!

No probs mate. Its gonna be something simple though :)

I think so - the nuts are all tight - tried them this morning. Had a quick look round, there's nothing overly amiss. I've dropped it in to my garage this morning and they're hoping to have a quick look during the day.

CW strikes again! Garage have diagnosed a siezed caliper - one of the pistons is caput! So, anybody have one lurking or know offhand where I can get one quickish?

I'll have a word with Keron (as I'm passing Leicester on the way to the NEC tomorrow) and put a Wanted ad in.

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

sorry for the slight hi jack here, didnt really wanna start a new thread, but i also have a noise when i brake. completely different to this one. as soon as i engage the brake pedal theres a loud 'click' for a split second. sounds like its only coming from the front brakes. ny suggestions/ideas what it could be?

Pads shifting I'd say - have you got the clips in place?

im hoping so. can that be checked just by taking the wheel off? im trying to get an idea as what to look for when i do it as i have no clue what so ever when it comes to technical stuff