The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few questions re: Declaring my Supra SORN

SupraStar 3000

My Supra's MOT ran out in December and, as the car has been in the bodyshop having work, had no need to take it through the MOT. Now, i have to pay for roadtax which I can't without a MOT so am considering declaring it SORN, however I have a few questions.

1. Is it worth risking NOT declaring it SORN as hopefully it should be out the garage end of May, and then after its MOT i will apply for its road tax anyway.

2. Its free to declare a Car SORN but how much hassle is it to reapply for road tax after SORN and does it cost?

3. My g/f friend said I have to wait 6 months after declaring SORN before I can retax it. Is that true??

help :(

My Supra's MOT ran out in December and, as the car has been in the bodyshop having work, had no need to take it through the MOT. Now, i have to pay for roadtax which I can't without a MOT so am considering declaring it SORN, however I have a few questions.

1. Is it worth risking NOT declaring it SORN as hopefully it should be out the garage end of May, and then after its MOT i will apply for its road tax anyway.

2. Its free to declare a Car SORN but how much hassle is it to reapply for road tax after SORN and does it cost?

3. My g/f friend said I have to wait 6 months after declaring SORN before I can retax it. Is that true??

help :(

In reply dude,

1) Had a car once, that wasn't being used, was kept off road and didn't SORN it. After the end of the first month of not being taxed I got a fine of £90 come through the post, so i'd recommend a SORN, just in case.

2 + 3) Its not a problem once it's SORN'd to take your MOT, log book and insurance to a post office to get a new tax disc, no matter if its after 1 month or 10, just need to re-apply for a SORN if its gonna be off the road still at the end of that year.