The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Engine Oil? N/a 6Speed

Dim Sum

Hi. I've searched on the forum already and I have come across this page http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56684

Its very useful but I'm still a little confused. I have a 1996 Supra with the 6speed n/a. What engine oil should I use?

The thread suggest its 5/40 but when I speak to companies like JapMap and Euro Parts they suggest it's 5/30 because the 5/40 are normally for diesel and might be too thin, which also someone on the forum did mention as well.

Could people give me some suggestion what they put in there's and maybe what I should put in mine.

is 5/30 more prtective than 10/40. ?

Kind of... but I'm not sure it's quite as simple as that. The lower numbers mean that 5/30 is a thinner oil, which could mean more protection when the oil's cold, but you want a certain amount of thickness when it's warm/hot. There's a good thread on here somewhere by Oilman that explains the numbers in far more detail than I can. :)

First of i want to say thanks for everyone whos letting me know what they have put in and etc. Great stuff:d

Have a look at these:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=137767

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=28529

Oilman's got lots of other threads on here, jsut 2 above are just quick selections.

Those links are very helpful in gaining more understanding.

One question i would i like to ask is that 5w40 and the 5w30 are both quite thin oil and there's not much differences and my supra have done 80k would the thin oil leak out? I have no idea hows it's been looked after in Japan so i wouldnt know. So should i just go for the 10w40 and play it safe?

In the first instance I'd follow the advice in the threads I linked to. If you're still unsure I would perhaps try 5w40, and if that gets past the seals I would use 10w40.

AFAIK oil choice isn't as critical in an NA as it is in a TT, as you don't have any turbos to lubricate.

In the first instance I'd follow the advice in the threads I linked to. If you're still unsure I would perhaps try 5w40, and if that gets past the seals I would use 10w40.

AFAIK oil choice isn't as critical in an NA as it is in a TT, as you don't have any turbos to lubricate.

If it goes past the seals there's no way to find out, is there? other than it leaking and by that stage guess you got to spend more money on repairs?

Alot of people including Paul Waf and Opie oils suggesting 5w40. Is there that high chance of the seal could leak at the current mileage 80k?

Ah, I see your concern. Fortunately I don't think it works like that. If the thin oil does get past the seals, it just means that you'll get some blue smoke out of the exhaust, especially when you accelerate. The leakage probably wouldn't be enough to say form a puddle underneath the car. Even if it does, I don't think it's a problem: just switch to the thicker 10w40 without needing any engine repairs. The oil escaping won't degrade the seals any further than they already are. That's my understanding, anyway.

80k miles is not a huge mileage. I would try 5w40, and just keep an eye on the dipstick level. If it goes down fairly quickly (over the space of, say, a few weeks) then use 10w40 when you next change the oil.

Ah, I see your concern. Fortunately I don't think it works like that. If the thin oil does get past the seals, it just means that you'll get some blue smoke out of the exhaust, especially when you accelerate. The leakage probably wouldn't be enough to say form a puddle underneath the car. Even if it does, I don't think it's a problem: just switch to the thicker 10w40 without needing any engine repairs. The oil escaping won't degrade the seals any further than they already are. That's my understanding, anyway.

80k miles is not a huge mileage. I would try 5w40, and just keep an eye on the dipstick level. If it goes down fairly quickly (over the space of, say, a few weeks) then use 10w40 when you next change the oil.

Thanks alot :) Great info. Just one final question before this concludes :D wheres the dipstick for the supra.......... I ain't been in the engine bay since i installed the HID and i always said to myself since i brought the supra iI service it and never really looked for it or noticed it................:innocent:

I think from a simplistic POV.

5w (is the weight/thickness)

x0 is the ability to resist breaking down due to shearing and heat (and getting thinner)

The higher the 2nd number the better it resists the forces of the engine.

So if you're worried about a 5w/30 or 5w/40 going past the seals yes do use a 10w/30-40-50-60. IMO. I'd use a 5w40 on that engine. If I notice any blue smoke in the exhaust after the oil change then I'd consider going upto a 10w40.