The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying my first supra :)

Guest justin-bobby

Guest justin-bobby

Hello everyone,

Well my name is justin, been looking at getting myself a N/A or single turbo supra im only 21 so insurance on the TT isnt pretty :( , will be a different step for me as i have had a clio 172, 182,fiesta st and currently selling my astra VXR kind of a hatchback kid i guess. :sly:

Anyway i was looking at Supraloopys silver supra and its the nicest silver n/a i have seen at that price just wish i had the cash now...maybe soon lol!!!

Guest justin-bobby

hahaha am i in the hills :p my name is justin and then because of the programme everyone said bobby so it stuck :p thanks for the advice heywood and Gaz, i'll probably stick to the N/A seen some very good ones on here

thanks again

Do some homework before you go looking as insuring these cars isnt as straight forward as you think it would be

for example you will probably find its cheaper to get cover on a UK TT than an import NA

As a rough guide

na's are around 200 ish hp

tt's are anything from 280-450

and single turbos 450-1000

Guest justin-bobby

well i did, i got quotes on all three, cheapest was an N/A then the single and the TT was ridiculous....oh by the way are jap imports limited to 110mph??

Do some homework before you go looking as insuring these cars isnt as straight forward as you think it would be

for example you will probably find its cheaper to get cover on a UK TT than an import NA

As a rough guide

na's are around 200 ish hp

tt's are anything from 280-450

and single turbos 450-1000

Also, import TT is often similar insurance to an NA, get as many quotes as you can on an import TT, an import NA, and a UK TT (no such thing as a UK NA).

Make sure the insurance company is quoting on a MKIV, not a MKIII! Even if they have the reg number and it comes up on the system CONFIRM it is a MARK FOUR SUPRA.

IMO don't go for anything modified. Not only things like intercoolers (FMIC) and injectors and cams, but even wheels and suspension and an exhaust can make it go up. Single turbo whether an NA converted (NA-T) or a TT converted (big single) is a big NO.

Guest justin-bobby

jeez!! No DnK they r not mk3's i know my cars... honestly the quote was 1600 a yr on the single, 1100 on N/A and then the TT was like 3000? all through tesco!

jeez!! No DnK they r not mk3's i know my cars... honestly the quote was 1600 a yr on the single, 1100 on N/A and then the TT was like 3000? all through tesco!

Whats with the attitude ?

A few of us who have been down this rd before are trying to help you out, its the ins comps that screw them up, im sure you know everything there is to know so good luck too you

Guest SupraTroopa

I wouldn't personally recommend Tesco for insurance, had some bad experience when it comes to claiming and had a claim which was not my fault take over 18 months to resolve.

Its always best to ring up and check things such as confirm it is an import and mods etc.

TT quotes at 21 aren't impossible to get, after enough hunting around I got quoted £820 fully comp on my Jspec TT at 21 (last year) on a classic policy with Lancaster. Although I think this may have been a mistake on their part as on my renewal letter they said they cannot insure me due to my age (?)

Hence now I am moving to Admiral who have quoted me £830 (last year quoted me circa £1600) or £730 on a 10 month accelerator policy.

I would definately read up before jumping into things and make sure the quote is right, otherwise when it comes to claiming you could get screwed over.

Good luck and :welcome:

Edited by SupraTroopa (see edit history)

Guest SupraTroopa
Thanks Troopa :) . One question how many no claims bonus did you have when you took the policy?

1 :D

Guess I was just lucky.