The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How loose/stiff is Supra PAS meant to be?

Guest Supracar

Guest Supracar

WHen I bought my 94SZ about 6 months ago, I knew that the steering was stiffer than it was meant to be and about 2 months ago took it to Pro Tech who diagnosed a faulty steering rack. The options were a brand new one (£1100) or have mine reconditioned (£450).

Needless to say, when I collected my car, the difference was amazing, particularly pulling away from cold.

Then after about 3 weeks, the steering seemed to get even looser (for longer periods), until finally this new found looseness went and it seems to be back to how it was after the rack was repaired.

My problem is, as there's always been a problem with it, I'm not sure how much assistance there's meant to be. The fact that I've got a recurring shoulder injury doesn't help my judgment either.

I took it to Pro Tech this morning and the mechanic (a former SUpra owner) said the PAS is perfect as it is, but it still feels stifff to me, when parking...

Can anyone shed any light on this???

Originally posted by 200SX Boy

Blimey Steve, that is one seriously :limp: avatar!

;)

Hahaha my girlfriend would love it, she collects the things lol. One of em sold for around $1000 on ebay :eek:

There's millions of em, but yes very gei :limp:

hahahahahaha its Mimic, the most expensive my little pony in eBay history!!

she is a bit gei tho ( yeah I know so am I for using Brads/w000t "gei"-and for collecting mlps!!)

Fizzy and Baby Hopscotch are the best ones :p

Originally posted by Ian C

Bit harsh, that. Not sure if you are being funny or offensive...

-Ian

It wasn't meant offensively, although I can see how you thouht that reading it back. Should have added a smilie:) :) :) :)

Edited to add: I wouldn't be offensive to a man with a gun:D

Adding random facts about power steering on each of your replies is an interesting countermeasure but my advanced lock system still detects the off-topic chitchat, bad luck :cool:

I'm not gonna delete any posts as a) I don't yet know what I'm doing with the BBS mod functions and will probably leave a smoking crater and b) it's not wandered that far off topic. Get back to power steering :)

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

Adding random facts about power steering on each of your replies is an interesting countermeasure but my advanced lock system still detects the off-topic chitchat, bad luck :cool:

I'm not gonna delete any posts as a) I don't yet know what I'm doing with the BBS mod functions and will probably leave a smoking crater and b) it's not wandered that far off topic. Get back to power steering :)

-Ian

:D I like it!

Okay, back on topic. As someone has alreday said it could be the speedo converter, although I would think that this wouldn't affect the steering at really low speeds, it's only supposed to change the weight of the steering at higher speeds to stop you rolling it on a 1/1000th turn of the wheel (ish):)