The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intake valve clearances

jevansio

Personally if its in tollerence then its correct and id leave it alone Jay.

Reason I ask is after a very heated run yesterday sometime it felt flat, I'm trying to understand why & this was one thing that popped into my head.

The other is a missfire, although it seemed to be midrange (ie just after shifting into 4th approx 5k rpm) where it felt flat, I've never had a missfire there before (although in hindsight it does fit the missfire criteria), I've always had high rpm high boost misses (ie 7k rpm).

I thought HKS 264 cams had a Intake clearance of 0.20m +/- 0.03mm so the minimum should be 0.17mm and the max 0.23mm.

:search:

This is correct for HKS cams and most aftermarket. I would get it as close to this as possible. You can buy the shims from toyota, just work out which ones you need. You only need to do the ones that need it not them all.

The intake is 0.20mm and the exhaust is 0.30mm

A *BIT* too much clearance is always better than them being tight. Setting the cam timing accurately can pay big dividends, most people just line up the dots on stock pulleys. It'll work, but production tolerances COULD be robbing you of quite a bit of performance. Doing a decent job of valve timing with the engine in the car can be a PITA.