The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting de-cat pipes

AeroMatt

I've recently bought both decat pipes for my N/A and after having a local formula 1 garage tell me they couldn't do it without having the car for a day (and probably taking out the engine!) I fitted them myself on my drive in a few hours.

The decat didn't come with any gaskets and I was planning on using the originals. However, these are just round circles that fit into a recess between the cat and the manifold. Seeing as the decat pipe doesn't have this recess, I used plenty of firegum between the pipes instead. Unfortunately this hasn't worked after two attempts and the join is blowing.

Can anyone tell me how they sealed theirs? I don't want to go through the effort of removing the pipes and trying the original gaskets if its just going to blow again. I would lose the will to live!

Cheers,

Matt

mines a tt so may be different but i just used exhaust paste like you and its sealed fine. this is also how chris wilson recommended to do it. are you sure the pipe is bolting right up flush and not fouling on any thing?

there is a nissan gasket that fits the cw decat pipe 1 to pipe2 and pipe2 to the cat back, u can get these from motor factors. or cut a custom one from sheet. use paste at the cat 1 to manifold.

the stock gasket wont work.

engine out, the fecking eejits! :)

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try the paste once more.

I'm just a bit concerned about one of the bolts holding the cat pipe to the manifold as the bloke at the garage initially tightened it so the nut is stuck on the thread. So when I undo it the whole bolt comes out, not just the nut. I think I'll get a new threaded bar and nut from Toyota to be on the safe side, at least then I won't be afraid to overtighten it.

Oh and the best line from the garage was. "We had some real problems with another one of these the other week, that wasn't a turbo though!" :stupid: I could forgive them had they not been looking around the engine bay / exhaust for the past 20 minutes. Bunch of muppets.

Cheers,

Matt