The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This looks a nice heat shield :)

hadyn

That is just stupid :D

It looks like the holes are there to allow air to come in from the stock top air feed?

The air feed over the rad works on suction (same as the one under the headlight), no air is forced though it at all. In fact, the fan blows hot air right over the top of the "holes" in this "heat sheild", making it useless.

That thing, although shiny, will do absolutely NOTHING useful at all. The air intake needs virtually hermetically sealing away from the engine compartment, so it can ONLY pull cold air from outside of it. You know, like Toyota did it with those oh so dull looking bits of black plastic.... :) You don't need to insulate the outside of the ducting, the surface area of a tube's walls in comparison with the volume of air passing through the duct and the time gas molecules stay in contact with the walls, makes lagging intake ducting pointless.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

That thing, although shiny, will do absolutely NOTHING useful at all. The air intake needs virtually hermetically sealing away from the engine compartment, so it can ONLY pull cold air from outside of it. You know, like Toyota did it with those oh so dull looking bits of black plastic.... :)

Makes sense, so what do you recommend we single owners should do?

I am going to try and make a cold air box for mine fed from one of the spotlight holes on my bomex, or you could mount the filter behind the bumper.

Cool. Looking forward to the results.

I got some aluminum heatsheild in order to make up an airbox for the car, however as we are trying to keep hot air away from the filter and not WATER, I always struggled to understand how we could do that without the box being air sealed.

Easily. I am using a stock air box on my RB26DETT Skyline engine, I did a pressure drop test on it today, when taking it for its MOT, and it was negligible. It's already making over 500 and should do an easy 600 HP. Given the build cost I can assure you that if I really thought it needed a trick air box I'd have probably gone the extra nine yards and made one. A LOT of stock stuff is fine unless you just can't resist shiny things :)