The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If you have REAS suspension whats your opinon?

Chiefgroover

I have the REAS System on my Supra, and the ride and comfort levels are really great.

Went a little down hill when I fitted the bigger wheels 18's comfort wise as they simple don't ride the bumps as well as a bigger profile tyre.

The car does have a great deal of compliance in terms of taking bends at speed, which I find requires a bit more anticipation into the corner to set the car up for the bend.

You don't want the car settling into its suspension (until it firms up) while your in the bend, you want to ideally anticipate and get it there to drive threw and accelerate out of the bend.

Hope that helps ........

I had it in my old SZ-R, you could get 'axle tramp' on a hard getaway but maybe that was down more to the na's one diff damper?

It was softer/plusher in the vertical plain (stock exhaust would ground over those low but short/steep speed humps even at slow speeds if you were not careful) but the system worked well when cornering, far better and with less body roll than the plushness/feel would suggest.......sort of like having uk spec springs that change into jap spec with bilsteins in the corners...

I suppose suspension setup is always a compromise and this setup just allows the comfort to be increased without adversely effecting the handling or vice versa......

saying that I think it's setup to allow a better ride comfort than the other normal shock setups (say J spec springs and bilstein dampers) but retain good roll/corner damping characteristics, rather than give the same ride comfort with better roll/corner damping characteristics.

I loved the driving 'feel' of my old NA, how much I can put down to the REAS suspension I can't say, I did replace the fronts with stock bilsteins when the REAS ones finally sprung a leak and have to say the difference was not really that noticeable but IMO the system is not a gimmick and I'd gladly/prefer to own a later car with it, but not sure I'd recommend anyone to retrofit it hoping for a massive improvement over any of the stock setups.......