The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hairline crack in turbo manifold

gavin.starr

as some of you may know i have been having some issues with no boost coming in from my second turbo through 1st to 3rd gear its intermittant, so some times it works and some times it doesnt, which is really starting to annoy me.

I have checked pressuer drop accross the FMIC and everything is fine,

I have checked that all vsv are operational and they are.

Checked all pipes related to the turbos and no cracks, splits, or kinks.

so the only other thing i can think of is a hairline crack in the manifold its self, as i have seen this mentioned a few times on here.

Would this crack reduce boost levels or even stop the boost from coming on line from turbo 2. Or does the crack more commonly happen on the first turbo.

Gav

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ive seen pictures of a hairline cracks in the turbo housings itself.

24042010151.jpg

just i dont know if this would create such a boost problem or not.

Today i managed to get both turbos to work from first gear all the way through to 4th and had to back off.

But it wasnt boosting until around 5500rpm and later towards 6000rpm and by that point your getting ready to change gear any way .

Guest SupraGTE

then it can be the crack , depending how much it leaks it will affect the spool. is it the shorter or longer housing? i dont rember 1 or second wich is what :) i have many housings at home and all of them looks better than that:) you can have it for free if you pay post or pick up

im pretty sure that mine has a crack in it. the picture above is a generic picture that i found.

Which turbo is it that most commonly cracks. Im thinking its number one as this gets used alot more than number two if this was so why would it effect when turbo 2 comes online im not sure.

Which one is that ive checked all 4 vsv's and they open and close as they should and i have just changed the actuator that opens the exhaust valve.

have you got a diagram of which one the EGBV VSV is. Because then i can go and double check it.

The only other thing i can think of is the fact that there is some aftermarket silicone hoses to some of the vsv's but not all would a difference in the internal diamater of the pipes make a diference.

Ive got the ones from my old turbos that blew they used to work fine on them beforre they went. i seem to have been having trouble with these since i put them on.

Changing the turbos was such a pain in the arse is it the same changing the actuators too, or is it just a case of removing all the pipes above the turbos, im not going to have to remove the lot am i

Ive got the ones from my old turbos that blew they used to work fine on them beforre they went. i seem to have been having trouble with these since i put them on.

Changing the turbos was such a pain in the arse is it the same changing the actuators too, or is it just a case of removing all the pipes above the turbos, im not going to have to remove the lot am i

Depends on what actuator you are having the issues with. Most of them are attached to the assembly, it would be difficult to remove one in situ.

It is most likely to be the VSV though, TTC mode will check the actuators in question for you ;)

As I said, the VSV's may work electronically but they might not be holding pressure. This is the problem I have at the moment. Sometimes they boost perfectly, other times I don't get full boost till 4500rpm.

I put an ad in the wanted section but didn't get any responses. I have been happy with the TTC mode for now so I have just left it.