The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Baby seats

robin

I know this has been posted many times before and from searching I have found a few common suggestions such as the recaro and maxi cobi tobi but from looking at various marketing literature these seats are for 9KG+ babies.

Does anyone have any recommendations on seats that will go in the back and are suitable for 0+? (Cant go in the front as its a UK with passenger air bag)

No rush but I want to get something ordered as the little one is now due in 4 weeks :)

Actually, I suspect you'll find that most of the travel-system-style infant carriers fit pretty well.

When Adam was little and we still had the Supra (- sigh -), we had the Mothercare Urban Detour travel system, and the infant carrier from that fitted just fine.

It was a bit of a struggle at first (the staff at Mothercare tried to fit it in and gave up!), but I found that the following worked brilliantly:

- clip the seatbelt up first (this is where the mothercare staff failed) - the rear belts aren't long enough to loop all the way round the seats without having the seat in place first (depends on the particular way the belt attaches, of course)

- rather than trying to put the seat in by reaching in through the door (you'll do your back in if nothing else), put it in from the driver's seat (unless you're a midget, baby has to go behind the passenger seat)

- don't worry if the infant seat feels slightly loose at this point. Get the passenger seat to the right position (you might have to move it forward a couple of inches and sacrifice some passenger leg room) so that when it's put back down it "wedges" the infant seat into place

Done like this, the seat is relatively easy to put in, not too intrusive (you only loose a little bit of passenger leg room), and being wedged in place is actually more secure than I've seen in any other non-Isofix car!

I don't think you can get the Urban Detour any more, but you can just get yourself down to Mothercare or Halfords, and they'll happily let you try a few (don't be put off if they tell you it can't be done or they're not happy with the fitting, btw - fit it yourself and you'll see how secure it is.

ben