The mkiv Supra Owners Club

quick question about my brakes

drift_bear

The problem is that when I'm braking I'm hearing a rubbing noise coming from the rears, it sounds like metal rubbin against metal. The car had its mot a couple of weeks ago and it passed with no advisories or anythin. Also when I brake there's a "clicking" noise coming from the front. Does that sound like a brakes problem? any help would be usefull guys :) (i have the uk brake set up on my jspec)

My fronts use to make an initial click when the pedal was pushed hard.

I found when i pushed the pad with my finger (when cold) there was some slight

movement from them within the caliper. I bought the anti rattle pins and a new shim kit and it sorted it out. As for the rears sounds like your rear pads have had it mate.

Just because it passed a mot does not mean the brakes were ok, all the mot tests is braking force, I have had a car pass when the pads were metal on metal and had been for 4/5 months, not having a job then cost me for a set of new calipers but I was young and you learn from your mistakes

As above, the MOT doesn't give any real indication of the condition of the brakes at all. All it does is prove the brakes will give a certain level of stopping force - which will be a fraction of what the Supra brakes should be capable of, if in good condition.

On my car the brakes passed the MOT OK (I saw the readings on the brake tester), but on the front calipers, 2 of the 4 pistons were seized virtually solid and 1 piston was sticking badly. On top of that, the discs and pads had also seen better days. My guess is that the front brakes were working at around 25% of their full potential, yet it still passed the MOT...