The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW 7spd seq box.

JustGav

Well, my thinking was and looking at the limited getrag documentation, it is an automatically shifted manual, so gives you the best of both worlds....

The big issue of course is electronic control and the dual clutch option.... makes the bellhousing look like the easy bit I reckon.

I wonder if it comes with a gearbox ECU? If it does, I wonder if someone (Ryan) could work out how to fudge the signals to make it work with a Supra.

This sort of mod is right up my street. Shame my wallet disagrees though. I'd LOVE a Supra with a pair of VGT turbos and a DCT box. Perfect :)

Paulmac and myself have talked about this conversion in the past using the 6 speed SMG II box found in the E46 M3. I believe Paul looked into it as a solution for auto owners not being so restricted on choices. The main problem is that it's not just the Gearbox ECU you have to worry about, but the main ECM too. Both talk to each other via CAN bus and neither will work without the other. So not a small challenge by any means, but not impossible either. So who's going to do it, may come back to the Supra fold then ;)

I wonder if it comes with a gearbox ECU? If it does, I wonder if someone (Ryan) could work out how to fudge the signals to make it work with a Supra.

This sort of mod is right up my street. Shame my wallet disagrees though. I'd LOVE a Supra with a pair of VGT turbos and a DCT box. Perfect :)

From some brief looking over, it could even be something as simple as actuators pushing it into the various cogs....

Paulmac and myself have talked about this conversion in the past using the 6 speed SMG II box found in the E46 M3. I believe Paul looked into it as a solution for auto owners not being so restricted on choices. The main problem is that it's not just the Gearbox ECU you have to worry about, but the main ECM too. Both talk to each other via CAN bus and neither will work without the other. So not a small challenge by any means, but not impossible either. So who's going to do it, may come back to the Supra fold then ;)

Megasquirt handles CANbus ;) (Waits for IanC to start sweating ;))

But can it handle the amount of data stream required. It's actually the main ECM that governs the boxes behaviour, the gearbox ECU is just a soldier unit.

I shall have to look into that, I don't have the funds for this sort of project on top of the current one, but I can certainly investigate the theory side of it :)

So it would require some serious mapping capability then... same as the VGT thing. Would be silly doing one and not the other.

When will we see the project thread, Mig? :innocent:

Out of the box ideas such as these really do light my fire as they are such a break from the same ol' variations of a theme; But unfortunatley as much as a twin VTG, SMG equipped Supra appeals to me, I just haven't got the facilities to undertake a project of this size anymore. :(

Syvecs s6 has full custom canbus control with the ability to be able to set frame indentifiers, frame frequencies and custom content. So im sure it could be made to work. Life racing also have a strategy im sure on there f88 for this type of gearbox which could be implented into the S6 im sure :) Im tempted!

Does it come with a fork lift to move it :) ? Can't get my head around why anyone with a 3 litre torquey engine would want seven gears? 5 should be more than enough.

If they shift as fast as I hear, wouldn't the fact that they would be in the peak torgue / power band more often be that little bit better?

• 1 year later...
The idea sounds great BUT how well can these transmissions cope with the power your average single kicks out?

There would only be one way to really answer that as there are too few cases of big power SMG's, for example, to make a comparison. A couple of companies like HPF have largish HP SMG M3's running, but I don't class a few short bursts up a drag strip to be the measure of reliability. I wouldn't be surprised if they handle more than we think though considering most of their internals are based on a manual box design; after all, on paper the V160 shouldn't stand up to the power that some Supra owners throw though it, but it does.:)