The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting confused about brakes

BazzaAlpine

Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting some Disks and pads for my Jspec TT ('93) at the end of the month but no idea what sizes I need or where to look. Can anyone give me some pointers? I tried searching but I seem to get loads of results for UK spec or non turbo.

Is a budget of £300 going to be enough as well?

What brakes are fitted on your car ? if your not sure post some pics of the calipers through the wheels then we can tell you.

Whether you have j spec or uk spec get a price from your local Toyota dealer or speak to Steve Manley at Inchcape Toyota in Oxford 01865 291333 or try the traders on here (Whifbitz)

If your replacing the front and rear discs and the front and rear pads £300 wont be enough, i think uk spec discs are approx £70 each and the pads are approx £50 for the front and same for the rear so all in about £400 to do the lot

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

If you have J-spec brakes, does putting better pads in actually make them much better? or are they always going to be crap?

jspec brakes are not crap, bigger brakes offer a greater fade resistance over repeated heavy braking :search:

Good pads and rotors with braided lines and fresh fluid will make a world of difference to the feel.

If it's just pads and discs you are thinking of changing then imo you won't get much better value for money than this. I have had several sets from this guy now for various motors over the past 6 years and they have fitted perfectly and his service is great. The last ones I bought for a Supra were made by Mintex. Just check yours are the 16" versions before taking the plunge.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300320582045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

We did order a set from him for a Calibra and when they arrived they didn't fit as ours was made in a switchover year and the bloke could not have been more helpful in resolving it and getting the right ones to us.

I will be ordering another set for my new TT very soon :) Don't be put off because he is a Ebay trader, seems there are still a few serious traders on there. Oh and the ones in the picture are not from a supra, he uses the same image for all makes and models.

I went with 3G Discs, pretty good IMO.

http://www.ricerocketuk.co.uk/3GList.aspx?catname=3G+Brakes&carmake=TOYOTA&carmodel=Supra++Twin+Turbo+(JZA80)+-+Import+()+-+Rear&modelid=3208&makeid=37

I went with the RS10's which are grooved and dimpled (not holes).

Those along with braded lines and CW pads would see you with a good setup. I don't think you could get the whole lot within budget though.

I went with 3G Discs, pretty good IMO.

Those along with braded lines and CW pads would see you with a good setup. I don't think you could get the whole lot within budget though.

I have almost identical setup on my NA, CW pads and 3G grooved, these held up fine even at Silverstone and BrandsHatch ;)

I have almost identical setup on my NA, CW pads and 3G grooved, these held up fine even at Silverstone and BrandsHatch ;)

Good to know, Darryl (Homer) was under the impression that they were shite and I had wasted my money. I felt they were pretty good and an upgrade from stock, as every review and commend had lead me to believe.

The only gripe I have with them is that they corrode easily on the outer hub. Hammerite came to the rescue though :D

I only went for 3G over stock as there was a group buy on them where they were priced at worth a try ;)

I just go on peoples opinions. It is hard to root out the people who think something is good because it is theirs, and the honest people who just rate something as it is.

Imho 3g are great disc

s, from what I read they are brembo blanks but could be wrong paid £138 for rear grooved dimpled disks and redstuff(i know) pads from fleabay. I also put on braided lines. the difference in feel is out of this world

Imo a well sorted set of j specs are easily as good as neglected uk.

Big singles, bpu, standard all require the same stopping power from 90mph. not sure why the general concensus is that when you get more power you need bigger brakes? power isn't important or how fast you get there. unless of course you do a lot of trackdays. In which case the more pots/bigger discs are helpful in cooling, Afaik have no more power whether you have 2 pot or 8 the pressure in the lines are the same. that said the bigger surface area of the pad could be argued as having a greater friction coefficient.

Spend the money on sorting the ones you have rather than spending the same on buying a set of used uk that you still need to spend the same on refurbing.

Just my opinion and don't really want to open another can of worms or get flamed for having one ;)

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

J Spec Fronts are pre 95 - 296mm post 95 - 323mm and Rears are pre 95 - 307mm post 95 - 324mm stock

Uk's are 323mm and 324mm respectively stock

Pre 96 bud. Some of the 96 are the smaller variety, some of them are the larger. All 95 J-Specs are the smaller variety.

Right pics are now in the garage for the brakes. They look on the small side to me and thanks for the link to that eBay seller. I think that's the same guy I got my vented and grooved for the Mazda MX6 from.

The discs really look worse for wear espescially the rear ones so I prob will get that complete set payday next week.