The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear wheels refurbed

Dave

i did them by hand so about 4 hours [per wheel] in total, if you had a machine it would be quicker and your arms wouldnt ache

I am about to do mine so was interested in how long I need to allow myself.

I do have a DA polisher but because my wheels (Blitz Technospeed) have the spokes protruding over the rim it will have to be a hand job (and not the pleasant type ;))

just looked in your garage ,i see what you mean your gonna have to be careful as not to rub the paint off the spokes .i got the lacquer off with 400 grit then went 800 finished off with 1200 and for the final shine use 1500 [or an old bit of 1200] and use AUTOSOL as the lubricant instead of soapy water, then polished with AUTOSOL for the gleeming finish then put a metal sealer on to protect them i used BLACKFIRE, good stuff.

just looked in your garage ,i see what you mean your gonna have to be careful as not to rub the paint off the spokes .i got the lacquer off with 400 grit then went 800 finished off with 1200 and for the final shine use 1500 [or an old bit of 1200] and use AUTOSOL as the lubricant instead of soapy water, then polished with AUTOSOL for the gleeming finish then put a metal sealer on to protect them i used BLACKFIRE, good stuff.

Yep, I would have thought that it will take me an extra couple of hours per wheel as the bits under the spokes (which are the grottiest bits) will take ages to do.

It will probably take me 4 weekends to do them all :(

That's some job Dave, well done bud!

I did my Advan's Simon, like yours the spokes came out so far that it couldn't be machined and it all had to be done by hand. Tape your fingers up, I'd blisters for ages on the tips of all of mine, I don't envy you. A credit card as a sanding 'block' will help you get down into the tight bits. By the way, there's a guy in Bangor that's turning out some decent polishing for very cheap (like £70 or £80 for a set of 4 rims) if you decide you can't be arsed. I can go find his contact details if you're interested bud.

(sorry for the hijack Dave)

Yep, I would have thought that it will take me an extra couple of hours per wheel as the bits under the spokes (which are the grottiest bits) will take ages to do.

It will probably take me 4 weekends to do them all :(

I stripped my technospeeds by un-doing the bolts that go all the way around the wheels. Took about 1 hour just to undo the lot.

But I would defo recommend it as its SOOOO easy to polish the lips up with out the spokes there. You dont even need to take the tyres off, just let the air out and as its a 3pc wheel, the spokes come out very easy.

Saq

I did my Advan's Simon, like yours the spokes came out so far that it couldn't be machined and it all had to be done by hand. Tape your fingers up, I'd blisters for ages on the tips of all of mine, I don't envy you. A credit card as a sanding 'block' will help you get down into the tight bits. By the way, there's a guy in Bangor that's turning out some decent polishing for very cheap (like £70 or £80 for a set of 4 rims) if you decide you can't be arsed. I can go find his contact details if you're interested bud.

yeah thanks very satisfying. just on the last one now used the card trick to get in the tight bits, my spokes are not too bad, no cut knuckles.

might be worth having that guys number for future, cheers mate.:)

Will he do polished split rims? A lot of the wheel refurbers wont touch them as they are scared that they will not be able to reseal them after they are split.

I don't know for sure bud, his number's 07792101355 you can ask if you're interested. He's Polish and his English isn't that good, he prefers enquiries by text. If not, you could split them, leave him the lips for polishing and re-assemble them yourself after they're done. Alternatively you could get him to do the job you were going to do yourself (without splitting them) and let him worry about getting down into the tricky bits. I think he does a lot of it by hand anyway.

There's a thread on rms about him here -

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/car-chat/120084-metal-polishing-bangor-anyone-know-person.html

I don't know for sure bud, his number's 07792101355 you can ask if you're interested. He's Polish and his English isn't that good, he prefers enquiries by text. If not, you could split them, leave him the lips for polishing and re-assemble them yourself after they're done. Alternatively you could get him to do the job you were going to do yourself (without splitting them) and let him worry about getting down into the tricky bits. I think he does a lot of it by hand anyway.

There's a thread on rms about him here -

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/car-chat/120084-metal-polishing-bangor-anyone-know-person.html

Excellent. I`ll drop him a line and see what he thinks.