The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheel to fly percentage loss?

L33

and im not great at maths so if i have the wheel figure how do i work out fly?

i no fly to wheel is (figure)/100 x percentage

how do you do it the other way?

Divide whatever figure you have by 0.8 and that will give you the flywheel.....ish.

You mean wheels ;)

I think he is trying to figure out the flywheel.

Don't worry about the fly Lee, it is meaningless. Unless of course it is for the pub :D

No I meant fly, His original question was "Wheels to fly loss"

The wheels to fly loss is erm.... nothing, its gain so I was assuming he had his fly figure but wanted to know what he was running at the wheels minus the 20% or so loss

for pub :)

where did u get 0.8 from?

I pulled it out of thin air :D

20% loss means 80% of your original figure (which you don't know). Easy way of doing that is to multiply and divide that figure by 0.8. If you want to calculate a 20% loss you multiply by 0.8, if you want to calcualate a 20% gain you divide by 0.8. This terminology is wrong but it is a simple way of explaining for you to understand. The loss & gain are vice versa, just ignore this bit.... its for the hole pokers :D

You could do...

500/80*100 to get 625fwhp (the forumula you mentioned earlier re-arranged to work out the gain rather than the loss)

or as I have suggested, and much simpler

500hp/0.8 = 625fwhp

Saves lots of hassle :D

No I meant fly, His original question was "Wheels to fly loss"

The wheels to fly loss is erm.... nothing, its gain so I was assuming he had his fly figure but wanted to know what he was running at the wheels minus the 20% or so loss

I read the question as him wanting to figure out the flywheel figure as he already had the wheel figure, hence my correction :) He doesn't know what it made fly, that is what he is trying to get.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

I've just worked out my auto TT to be 16%.

376 fly to 316 wheels.

I really must get mine dynoed again soon. ;)

It won't be 16% bud. It will be a fair bit higher so your FWHP will be even more than you think. The FWHP figures you get from a dyno operator are faked and based on whatever they put into the machine. If they have put it in as 16% you will have figures to show this. If they put it in at 90% your FWHP figure would reflect that.

WHP is the only one that matters. Someone would need to take the car and put it on a transmisison dyno thingymabob to work out the exact transmission losses of a car. On the Supra I think the given is 20-22% for auto and 16-18% for manual.

Just to add, I think RR dyno's try to calculate the transmission loss based on the deceleration after a peak. Again, it is a bit of a poke in the dark. Not 100% sure on the specifics of all this. Just say 400hp for the pub :D

Edited by Scott (see edit history)