The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Repairing crack in plastic

Durandal

So it pains me to say that my baby got damaged yesterday. I backed out over a curb and cracked my JDM style side skirts. The pressure of the curb pushing up on them put a 30cm long split on the side of them.

Anyone have any recommendations to this type of repair.

Im repairing a set now, I have bought some plastic weld from the model shop, it brushes on and then use some plastic to cover the rear of the crack. The bottle says it will be as strong as the original plastic and I have to agree. Seems to be working a treat.

Do you mean stick a piece of plastic to the rear of the crack to reinforce it Nev (like Dave said with the fibreglass)? I've a fan shroud with a couple of cracks that I want to sort out and get fitted, and the plastic weld sounds like it could be what I need. I take it you need to sand it down after to get a flat finish?

Yeah thats what I meant. Another thing to use which is easier to get hold of is plumbers abs pipe glue, near enough the same thing. Aslong as there is no plastic missing from the damaged area all you will see after the repair is the crack. When sanding plastic be careful that it does not bur as this will make the plastic take on a fluffy appearance. I will take a pic of the actual stuff I'm using in the morning and post it up here for you.

Also the plastic i'm using to repair the skirt with is known in the modelling world as plasticard. Comes in various thickness's.

Edited by nevins (see edit history)

You can do that but I had all the stuff at hand from building my models, and its cheaper lol.

Definitely mate, if money is an issue patching it like fibreglass or glueing is a great option.

OEM skirts deserve that little bit extra though :D

Cheers Nevins :)

I'd thought about taking the shroud to a body shop to get properly plastic welded Scott, but I'm always up for a diy for the craic, if it doesn't work I can take it to someone to sort my mess out lol.

Right then, here are the pics of what I used. I will also type up the description and directions of use, and add a link to the company where you can buy it. Dont be alarmed at the price as it is for 12 bottles of the stuff.

PLASTIC WELD.

Use plastic weld to cement any of the following plastics to each other or in any other combination; Styrene, Butyrate, ABS,Acrylic (Lucite or Plexiglas), Perspex.

Diretions.

Plastic weld disolves a thin film of each surface to be joined then evaporates very quickly forming a welded joint - one as strong as the surrounding plastic. For best results, hold the pieces to be joined; use a small brush to apply Plastic Weld. Capillary action will spread it the length and bredth of the joint, forming a continuous solid weld. If the brush stiffens when dry, dip it in Plastic Weld to soften. DO NOT USE ON STYROFOAM.

EMA Model supplies LTD

Unit 2, shepperton Business Park

Govett Avenue Shepperton TW178BA

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/products/04303-plastic-weld-cement-ml.html

Grind the crack down from behind, get some ARALDITE on there, great stuff, put some on the front to while wet, get some fibreglass on the back of it, raw stuff, not p40 paste, grind the front down lightly, use some isopon bumper fill (filler for plastic) smooth it down, coat with regular filler, job done...wont ever be as strong as original

Unless, you get a large solder iron, and i mean a large 1", get some old plastic bits, break them up, melt the bits onto the rear and front of the crack, lots on the rear covering 2-3" space around the crack, some on the front, grind the front and apply some filler, now that would work a treat...