The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot Lid/Tail Gate Rubber - LOWER

catfish man

anyone had problems removing the LOWER Boot Lid/Tail Gate Rubber stops-?

my lower boot lid rubbers have lost the will to live so i got some new ones :)

only to find out the screws heads have been rounded :( via a previous owner i would think :rolleyes:

anyone know how do i remove them in this condition?

i have new screws with the new rubber stops

cheers chaps:innocent:

Toyota really made sure these wouldn't come loose.

I had to heat mine up with a hairdryer to soften the thread lock.

If you removed the damaged rubbers could you attack the screw heads with a pair if grips?

hairdryer thats me out im bald and my x-wife did not leave her hair dryer lol:d

yea the rubbers are off

i thought it would be a 5 min qiuck job in my lunch break :D :(

will try with the grips and let you know how i got on cheers :D

Edited by catfish man (see edit history)

The bolts can be a real pain to remove on the lowers.

If they round, they use a hacksaw blade to cut a line into the both head and use a large flat head screw driver to remove. They will come straight out, had to do that on all but one car I've replaced them on!

While were on this subject, im going to need to do mine soon with my respray, how much can i get them for with the bolts and where from? have a feeling toyota might want to overcharge for these little bits..
£13 for the 2 posted on ebay and they are original toyota parts i can pm you the details :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to reactivate a new thread but this afternoon I tried replacing these lower boot rubbers with some new ones and ran into a problem. I heated up one screw and that one came out fine, the other screw was an absolute pain in the backside. I held the soldering iron on it for ages and eventually the more and more I twisted it out with the screw driver the more rounded it became. It is a total mess now - I also had a go at cutting a new head with a hacksaw blade, but don't want to ruin the metal surround lip which sits at the same level as the screw head - any ideas?

It was all going so well at first haha