The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air con leak sealant

AJI

Has anybody used this stuff to seal an air-con leak?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253959_langId_-1_categoryId_165632

£19.99 but you get £10 back if you return the bottle empty.

I still have a slow leak in my air con system and as we never get any hot weather in the UK I have never got round to getting it fixed.

As an easy attempt to try and fix it without putting it into a garage I think I'll give this 'stop leak' a go.

I have had the same problem for 3 years but I have never really tried to get it sorted. I always get it regassed before the Le Mans trip and it lasts about 2 weeks before the cold air stops coming.......:(

Let me know how you get on with this as I may give it a try. My system has had about 3 vacuum tests and all have shown that there is no leak on the system.

There must be a very, very slow leak somewhere as it works fine when pressurised..!!

H.

To be honest I wouldn't touch the stuff. The only way to sort it properly is to get someone to evacuate the system then fill it with OFN (oxygen free nitrogen) That way it'll make a hissing noise from wherever is leaking. Or next time you properly (and you H!!) get it filled, wherever is doing the job should put in some UV dye which would show the leak under UV light.. Plus the garage that is filling your system knowing there is a leak is breaking the law!

Has anybody used this stuff to seal an air-con leak?

I've tried the same brand, but it was a gas recharge, oil top up and leak sealer in one bottle. It certainly made the car cold again, but it didn't seal the leak... and the leak must have been quite small, as it usually took around six months to lose the gas and stop working.

I always get it regassed before the Le Mans trip and it lasts about 2 weeks before the cold air stops coming.......:(

For it to stop working in 2 weeks, it must be a fair leak. A vacuum test isn't much good as it pulls the seals in one direction, whereas when the a/c is in use, the system is pressurised and the seals are pushed in the opposite direction. That's why the way Graham mentions above is the best way to find the leak.

Edited by SteveC
Link added (see edit history)