The mkiv Supra Owners Club

functional spoiler?

dr_jekyll

i currently have no spoiler on my supra as i prefer the look of it that way.

but at high speed any direction change feels slightly loose . i was planning on a diffuser to add downforce but the exelent write up by tlicence has kinda removed that idea.

is there a sensibly priced spoiler on the market that actaull has aerodynamic function, in a stableising way.

also i would like somthing thats not too intrusive to look at or "ironingboard" like, and possibly something thats easily removed

Edited by dr_jekyll (see edit history)

My supra is de-spoilered and i have noticed with using the car on the motorways more recently that the back feels very light at times, especially with sudden direction change and heavy braking. Has made me wonder if the lack of spoiler could be affecting things as my previous car was never like that (stock spoiler)

I'm going to call WIM shortly and see if i can get a slot with them next week

My supra is de-spoilered and i have noticed with using the car on the motorways more recently that the back feels very light at times, especially with sudden direction change and heavy braking. Has made me wonder if the lack of spoiler could be affecting things as my previous car was never like that (stock spoiler)

I'm going to call WIM shortly and see if i can get a slot with them next week

thats exacty what im getting

thats exacty what im getting

Called WIM and its booked for next Friday at 12, so will let you know how i get on. I definetly feel mine is more geometry related and not just the lack of spoiler as even at low speeds it just doesnt fill me with confidence in the corners and certainly doesnt feel planted properly. Its got 4 new GSD3 tyres just fitted so also a perfect time to check the geometry. Its also not feeling nice, especially at the back end when using the brakes, so new toyota discs, CW pads are being replaced on the front this Thursday along with Motul 5.1 fluid change.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i'd put an update in here. As you know i went to WIM and was very pleased with the results. I've only driven the car home since having that done which was a 3/4 hour journey and it did feel hugely better. One main issue i had was braking from speed on the motorway where it felt like the back wanted to swing round.

The geometry settings certainly werent helping this but it was obvious there were also braking issues anyway.

Yesterday i had new oem UK discs and CW pads fitted to the front along with Motul 5.1 fluid change. 1 piston on each side of the passenger front caliper were totally siezed. These were stripped and refurbished and now function perfectly.

I cannot believe the difference in the braking of the car. I havent done any motorway tests as i only took the car for a quick blast last night to check them out and am still bedding them in, but the car feels great. Very powerful firm feel to the brakes instead of feeling like your foot had to be on the floor and still hoping it would stop you in time! The Transit Connect brakes always felt better! much better feel at the back end when applying brakes in corners to.

Would a half working front caliper make the car feel like the back end wanted to swing round when braking hard? makes sense to me as it would be totally unbalanced at the front

Would a half working front caliper make the car feel like the back end wanted to swing round when braking hard? makes sense to me as it would be totally unbalanced at the front

Oh yes, being off balance would cause that as the car would pitch slightly...

Cheers mate, looking forward to getting them bed in then :)

I know it sounds stupid to compare how good the brakes feel now if they were clearly in a bad way but this is the first time ive had really good condition uk brakes as my last car had j-spec (that were in good condition) but the difference is huge. Nearly put myself through the windscreen as i drove out the house :)

The stock spoiler serves a function! My manager was a supra tech when they first came out, just like the skylines and the new LFA has, when he was training to work on them he was told that the stock spoiler shouldn't be removed as it would cause symptoms like your expierencing! The lads being trained was also told that if a customer requests for the spoiler to be taking off , not to do it as it would be Toyota that would be liable!

Oh i dont doubt that the stock spoiler does create some downforce at any reasonable speed, but certainly me going round corners at 30/40 and feeling the back end all over the place, i doubt was because of a lack of spoiler as it doesnt do it since the geo and brakes being done. I've got the stock one in the garage so will at least need to decide if it goes on or not before it all gets painted. Would just rather stick with the ridox lip if possible.