The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Varying Steering Wheel Judder

optim8

Got a really strange problem with the car. Driving home on the M5at about 70mph (Cruise Control On) and my steering wheel goes from almost nothing to real crazy shaking and then back to almost notihng again. This happens on about a 15 second cycle. Anybody have an ideas what the hell is going on here?

I have had my discs checked and they are apparently warped so I do have a new set on order but surely warped discs wouldn't cause this sort of behavior.

I have also had my subframe bolts, bushes, etc.. checked and they are all fine. I do however have a knocking from one of my shocks.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

If it was wheels then I'd have thought it would have been constant though, likewise any issues with your brakes or shocks (although a loose shock isn't good and may well be causing it somehow).

It sounds more electrical (PPS or something similar) though. Are there any error codes showing?

Thanks for the replys so far.

I had new tyres fitted last weekend and had the wheels rebalanced at the same time. The problem was there prior to this. I also got the whole front end of the car checked out last Friday and other than the potential shock problem and the warped disk nothing else was found to be wrong.

I guess I'll get the disks done first and re-evaluate after that. Right pain with this great weather I just want to be out driving!!!

I also have shaking of the wheel between 60mph and 70mph and shakes when i hit a bump above 70mph, think my discs are warped cause it sorta judders (not a quick judder tho) when braking at low speed (traffic lights) and a knock from the right shock.

Pain in the ass, cant be the wheels as they are new.

Get this too at over 70mph, wheels have spigs, been balanced and discs aren't warped or anything, bit confused really as not many people can advise on what this is.

It does only happen when the road is a bit bumpy mind....

I think it could be tracking or suspension now :(

Get this too at over 70mph, wheels have spigs, been balanced and discs aren't warped or anything, bit confused really as not many people can advise on what this is.

It does only happen when the road is a bit bumpy mind....

I think it could be tracking or suspension now :(

This sounds like suspension arms to me - as these cars get older I think we're going to see a lot more of these types of problems as they do wear.