The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS GT2835 Twins Upgrade

Samurai 20V

Hi Guys...

I am in the market for a Supra and I came across the following car for sale in Japan (I will be relocating to JPN in June)...

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail.php?STID=CS210840&BKKN=CU0005474848

The car has the HKS GT2835 twins upgrade, Fcon V ECU, it is tuned by HKS. It is a 1995 with 95000kms on the clock...

The cost is 1.48 million Yen, it works out to R120000 (ZAR - South Africa Rand). Just to put it in perspective a brand new Yaris T1 costs R126000...

I have a few questions about the car, please bear with me as this is new territory for me.

1. Fuel requirement - I assume this car needs 100ron octane plus? High octane fuel is an issue in SA so I am doing some research on the various options..

2. Reliability - How realiable is the Supra in this state of tune? Can the car be used everyday or is it just a weekend burner? I plan on a few track days & visits to the drag strips.

3. Maintainence - IS there anything outside of the normal service schedule that needs to be done?

4. How much horsepower does the 2JZ make in this state of tune?

5. Any other warnings or experiences that you guys can recommend?

Sorry for many questions & thanks in advance guys...

Thats a fine looking car. HKS GT2835R rock, no other turbo conversion sounds as awesome as these puppies. Go for it.

Service

I'd change ALL fluids every year (all when you get it to start with), and use only the best parts. Only use the toyota gear oil, and avoid synthethic brake fluid, dot 4 is fine.

Oil changes will need to be 3K for peace of mind.

I am thinking hot S.A tarmac and R888's on this baby would be excellent.

Make sure it has a TRD diff, if not get one fitted.

@ JustGav - Car prices are absolutely ridiculous in SA.

@ Rob - I'm not in JPN yet, but I have some friends up there with contacts, so we will check the car out properly... I will be returning to SA after 2 years & bringing the car back to SA as well.....

@Chiefgroover, thanks for the advice... Will check out the diff.. I really like this car, hopefully its still available when I get to Japan...

Thanks guys. Any other advice would be appreciated....

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

I have been searching on the FCON V Pro, I see the guys say that it is difficult to map. What exactly is the issue with it?

Is it possible to have more than one map on this ECU? Reason being fuel in SA is poor, was wondering if the car could be mapped for low & high octane fuel. Sorry, my questions may seem silly, this is new to me...

King Buyer had a very iffy reputation a few years ago, not sure if that has improved.

Would be very surprised if it's not currently mapped for 100RON. If you do buy it and bring it back to SA with you get it remapped before it's shipped. No shortage of good tuners here.

King Buyer had a very iffy reputation a few years ago, not sure if that has improved.

Would be very surprised if it's not currently mapped for 100RON. If you do buy it and bring it back to SA with you get it remapped before it's shipped. No shortage of good tuners here.

Hi Nick... What do you mean iffy? Do you recommend any other places to buy cars like this?

Will it be possible to map the car in Japan without using the actual SA fuel?

Out of interest where in Japan are you based?

I heard the same thing myself. My advice - find another one- there is no shortage of nice supra's coming out of japan atm....

Contact Jurgen from JM Imports. He is the man to buy supra's in Japan and has an infalible reputation.

Okay....

I don't think we have anyone in SA who can map it, will have to check...

Okay, I managed to find 1 dealer in Johannesburg for HKS. They have the software for the F-CON V Pro & are able to map it.

Johannesburg is approx 1700m above sea level & I live at the coast.

According to the dealer, if I did buy this car he would map it in Johannesburg to SA fuel, then fit a 2nd HKS Pressure sensor & map then the car at the coast. The Pressure sensor is to enable altitude compensation according to the dealer.... Is this correct?

I would think he should just map the car once at the coast & fit the pressure before mapping. Am I making any sense?

Advertising cars they don't have, misleading adverts for the cars they do, poor quality etc. I have no first hand experience of this, just what I've read and heard from various sources both in and outside Japan.

Personally I'd wait until you're here so you can look at the car yourself. I have a couple of mates in the business that can source cars and help you if necessary, but all you need to do is look on carsensor and then go to the garage with someone that speaks Japanese. Or you could get someone to take you to an auction. Remember you need to have a parking space before you can buy a car in your name. Like everything here there's a fair amount of paper work involved.

What RON is SA fuel? You could map it on JP regular, or I can put you in touch with someone that might be able to get you US grade fuel from one of the bases.

I live in Musashi-Kosugi.

Advertising cars they don't have, misleading adverts for the cars they do, poor quality etc. I have no first hand experience of this, just what I've read and heard from various sources both in and outside Japan.

Personally I'd wait until you're here so you can look at the car yourself. I have a couple of mates in the business that can source cars and help you if necessary, but all you need to do is look on carsensor and then go to the garage with someone that speaks Japanese. Or you could get someone to take you to an auction. Remember you need to have a parking space before you can buy a car in your name. Like everything here there's a fair amount of paper work involved.

What RON is SA fuel? You could map it on JP regular, or I can put you in touch with someone that might be able to get you US grade fuel from one of the bases.

I live in Musashi-Kosugi.

Thanks for the heads up Nick... Will be weary of them.

I have been checking on carsensor, also tradecarview & goo-net.

I will be in Japan in June so I will start my full search when I'm there. Trying to get as much info as I can before I get there...

Thanks for the offer, I will contact you when I get there. I can speak some Japanese, but not very fluent. The place I am looking to get has 2 parkings so that should be fine. (Nagoya-Meitoku)

The fuel in SA is 95RON, race fuel is available from BP, but a poor 98RON. Sunoco fuels are available(104,109,119RON) but at massive cost, Octane boosters are popular with them being cost effective. Maybe mapping on regular might be a good option..

Thanks again for all the help...

Okay, I managed to find 1 dealer in Johannesburg for HKS. They have the software for the F-CON V Pro & are able to map it.

Johannesburg is approx 1700m above sea level & I live at the coast.

According to the dealer, if I did buy this car he would map it in Johannesburg to SA fuel, then fit a 2nd HKS Pressure sensor & map then the car at the coast. The Pressure sensor is to enable altitude compensation according to the dealer.... Is this correct?

I would think he should just map the car once at the coast & fit the pressure before mapping. Am I making any sense?

Any comments on this guys??

Thanks for the heads up Nick... Will be weary of them.

I have been checking on carsensor, also tradecarview & goo-net.

I will be in Japan in June so I will start my full search when I'm there. Trying to get as much info as I can before I get there...

Thanks for the offer, I will contact you when I get there. I can speak some Japanese, but not very fluent. The place I am looking to get has 2 parkings so that should be fine. (Nagoya-Meitoku)

The fuel in SA is 95RON, race fuel is available from BP, but a poor 98RON. Sunoco fuels are available(104,109,119RON) but at massive cost, Octane boosters are popular with them being cost effective. Maybe mapping on regular might be a good option..

Thanks again for all the help...

I wouldn't bother with Octane Booster unless you can get hold of some Toluene. The off the shelf stuff is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Regular here is about 90RON so lower than you want. Best to talk to the mapper to be honest.

There's a guy in Nagoya that could help source you a car. He frequents the GTR forum. Met him once at a car show and seemed a straight up decent guy. Can't vouch for him though.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/member-gtrlux.html

Sorry, can't help with the mapping questions. I just drive 'em :)

Good luck !

I wouldn't bother with Octane Booster unless you can get hold of some Toluene. The off the shelf stuff is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Regular here is about 90RON so lower than you want. Best to talk to the mapper to be honest.

There's a guy in Nagoya that could help source you a car. He frequents the GTR forum. Met him once at a car show and seemed a straight up decent guy. Can't vouch for him though.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/member-gtrlux.html

Sorry, can't help with the mapping questions. I just drive 'em :)

Good luck !

Toluene is readily available in SA, fairly cheap as well.

Thanks again Nick!