The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash Lights In-Op!

Guest gtd2000

Guest gtd2000

The car in question is a '96 Jap import and has a couple of niggly issues at present but the particular problem I'd like to address here is the lack of illumination of the dashboard...

I suspect the first point of investigation should be the rheostat (or dimmer switch) for the dash illumination?

Is there a known problem with the dashboard illumination on the Supra MKiV?

Help! :search:

The car in question is a '96 Jap import and has a couple of niggly issues at present but the particular problem I'd like to address here is the lack of illumination of the dashboard...

I suspect the first point of investigation should be the rheostat (or dimmer switch) for the dash illumination?

Is there a known problem with the dashboard illumination on the Supra MKiV?

Help! :search:

I had that issue with mine, was the dimmer switch on mine but mine was a UK but same part..

Guest gtd2000

what happens in this case is that when you turn the lights on, the only the clock remains illuminated on the dash/console area.

All illumination remains off (gauges, gearbox selector etc) and the green LED mileometer on the left also turn off.

It's a nice sunny day here in Newport so we are just about to have a wee look see...:eyebrows:

Guest gtd2000

Well we solved the illumination issue in around 30mins total time, the dimmer switch "appears" to be the problem.

It was apparent that somebody had done some work in this area before as there was a block connector with three wires going in an three wires coming (all of the same lines) - it seems they were cut and re-joined for no real reason.

Two of the wires were white and the other green, I just joined both of the whites in the one connector and left the green as it was and plugged it all back into the dimmer switch.

Dash and all other lights now working :D

Strangely enough - the folding mirror function switch was not working previously but they do now - that was just a bonus result I think!