The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I think I'm going to have to sell my Supe... :(

Professor Kenny

Hey guys,

Long time no speak, I've not been online much lately. My girlfriend and I bought a house and I've been pretty tied up with that, plus our internet's been spazzy lately too...

I've been thinking long and hard, and I think the time has come to sell my car. I love it to bits, having wanted a Supra since I was 19, and I'm going to be gutted to see it go, but I just can't afford to run it at the moment. I'm going to get something smaller and cheaper to run, pay off some debts I've accrued, and hopefully in a couple of years time I'll be able to get myself another one...

Just to check the waters, I had a look on that webuyanycar website, and they offered me £2600, so I think I should be able to get a good price for it, does that sound a fair price to you guys? It's a 94 manual NA, pretty much stock...

Edited by Professor Kenny (see edit history)

It seems a bit low IMO. It isn't bad from a site like that but I would offer to members for 3k minimum and see what happens.

Are you going to save a lot of money going for something smaller?

I sometimes think about what I would do if I had to sell the Supra. Would it really make that much difference to me financially? The only thing I can see happening is it being really difficult to get back into one at a later date. The 10k or so I would get for the car could be pissed away in an instant. Spending the money is soooo easy, coming up with it again to buy a car is almost impossible..... unless there is a fairly big change financially of course.

Scott, if I got £3k for it I could get something small for about a grand, plus I'd get a refund on my insurance, which was £800 last year, plus I wouldn't be spending so much on petrol. I've got a couple of loans and credit card bills from when I got divorced, and with the mortgage I've pretty much got no money for petrol or anything as soon as I've been paid O_o

If I can end up with a couple of grand I could pay off one of the credit cards, and gradually start getting my head above water again - as it stands at the moment, I'm drowning!

Jamie - good condition, needs a couple of bits doing (main thing is one of the rear brakes is sticking on slightly, I've got a complete set of rear brakes to fit but haven't got round to it yet). Mileage is unknown; the odo is reading 40,000km but I'm pretty sure that's not right. Mechanically it's sound though...

EDIT: Plus I won't be terrified of leaving a crappy hatchback outside pubs when I'm gigging! :D

Webuyanycar daaaa de daaaa!!!

They offered you 2600 and I take it that was over the phone or net. When you get there they will try and knock you down well below 2 grand after a long look round the car detailing every ding, scratch uneven tyre wear etc . They are trained to do this and prey on people like yourself in unfortunate circumstances. I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole TBH and can more or less guarentee the 2.6k you were offered is not what they will offer you in person. If you need to sell doing it privately on here or PH is the best bet.

Read this from last month http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/03/28/we-buy-any-car-for-less-115875-22143643/ and then you may think twice about a firm who really is out to prey on the unfortunate

...It was a hyperspeed sale with way to fast arrangements for being an oversea trade...

I'll say - I didn't even have time to clean it! ;)

God, did he give me a hard time over how dirty the car was! :D

Now I'm trying to find somewhere that will give me a decent exchange rate on those Euros... at the moment the best I'm going to get for them is about £200 less than I was hoping for :eek: