The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto or manual

Guest BHP>MPG

Guest BHP>MPG

Guys I know it must have been asked before whether one should get a manual or an auto.

I haven't seen people ask how hard it is to get used to an auto though which is what I want to know.

So.....how hard is it to learn to properly use the autobox?

By properly I don't mean getting the car going from A to B, I mean getting the fastest gear changes and the best out of the car.

CHeers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.....how hard is it to learn to properly use the autobox?

whats there to learn....any mug can drive an Auto.....its american proof...

I mean getting the fastest gear changes and the best out of the car.

are you going to be using the car for competition or trackdays?

Guest BHP>MPG

I read on one of the "auto or manual??" threads I was suggested to read and I read that there is a MANU mode, and when I read about it I was baffled to say the least.

I've never driven an auto and the only one I've ever been in is my grandma's badass automatic focus estate.

Most important thing for launching is powerbraking. I don't really know what manu-mode does. If it doesn't redline in full auto then I guess that is where manual will come in. Other than that it seems like a toy to play with when you can be bothered. I don't think it would speed you up much from A-B.

I think there is less chance of engine over revving with an autobox,so on a car as old as a supra there is a good chance it will be in better condition in auto form.

I'd get your ECU checked if it wasn't protecting the engine from over-revving.

Most important thing for launching is powerbraking. I don't really know what manu-mode does. If it doesn't redline in full auto then I guess that is where manual will come in. Other than that it seems like a toy to play with when you can be bothered. I don't think it would speed you up much from A-B.

the auto redlines in auto when you floor it, then changes geers.... thats why its an auto. Manu mode will simply let you bounce off the limiter in whatever geer you have it selected. (although why you would want to do that is a mystery to me)

It also quickens (in exchange for the harshness of them) the geer changes. once you have driven and auto and you read through the manu mode description it makes sense. The item on here is great but can be a bit confusing. i only ever use it in full auto with overdrive on and manu mode with overdrive on.

That way its full auto or whatever i tell it when i press manu.

Guest BHP>MPG

So if while I'm hunting for a UK TT and the right Auto TT comes along and I opt for that instead, it won't take forever to learn to use it?

Stupid question I suppose but can you change while driving? So switch to MANU when going into twisties and stuff?

So if while I'm hunting for a UK TT and the right Auto TT comes along and I opt for that instead, it won't take forever to learn to use it?

Stupid question I suppose but can you change while driving? So switch to MANU when going into twisties and stuff?

I change to MANU while driving, and I've never found it to be a problem. If you're in overdrive at the time, it'll drop into 3rd gear anyway.

I had been driving manuals for 19 years, and I'm really finding it difficult to consider going back to manual after the auto Supra.

As long as you tuck your left foot under the driver's seat as much as possible when test driving, then you'll be fine.

I took to it straightaway. :)

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

i hate my auto!!!!! bought one so it was unrewarding to drive on the road so i dont lose my licence, but i just cant live with it atall...............

dont get me wrong i love lazy auto cars my landcruiser in auto is perfect & have owned others such as gallant vr4, subaru leggy gtb,volvo t5 etc etc, but with the supra it just somehow seems all kinds of wrong.

r154 conversion will be carried out very shortly!

It won't take any time to learn to use it, you need to remember to stop your left foot doing anything though as going for the clutch can induce some sharp braking if you find the brake pedal.......

You can use the manual mode to hold a gear, say 2nd in the twisties which helps you stop getting an awkward change up mid corner......then on a clear bit when you get high up in the revs in 2nd you can select 'D' which in manual mode only gives you access to 3rd.......

Guest BHP>MPG
It won't take any time to learn to use it, you need to remember to stop your left foot doing anything though as going for the clutch can induce some sharp braking if you find the brake pedal.......

You can use the manual mode to hold a gear, say 2nd in the twisties which helps you stop getting an awkward change up mid corner......then on a clear bit when you get high up in the revs in 2nd you can select 'D' which in manual mode only gives you access to 3rd.......

So going through corners and country lanes say you'd stick it in 2nd, then stick it into D when the revs get too high, and then stick overdrive on if revs get too high again? or if you hit a straight stick it into overdrive?

In essence yes :) but I 'think' you need to deselect manual mode to be able to get over drive....3rd is good for serious speed though so its fine as long as you aren't trying to conserve fuel!

If you are pressing on but want the over drive for dual carriageway stretches then (with over drive off ie blocking 4th)just using the stick through 1 2 and D (with manual mode off) is almost as good.......and when there is a need for 4th you can just press the overdrive on/off button.........

Sounds to me like you'd really like a manual but haven't found one yet. I'd say wait till the right one comes along. The auto box is really very nice, but a manual (IMO) is better to drive. You can always find auto to manual conversion threads, but how many manual to auto conversion threads have you seen? Not many I bet. Speaks for itself...

Guest Luke Hero

So on the auto box, can you change up and down gears by pulling the lever back and forth in manu mode? Like a tiptronic sort of?

Guest BHP>MPG

How easy is it to convert from auto to manual?

I did try to search but couldn't find any "guide"

Prices and level of difficulty would be good.

Guest Luke Hero
So on the auto box, can you change up and down gears by pulling the lever back and forth in manu mode? Like a tiptronic sort of?

Anyone? :)

Mitsi Matt.If you find that you hate the auto ,i can only suggest that you are driving it incorrectly.Use the box more like a manual and it will reward you.If its slow,try removing the fuse to the box.Leave it out for about 10 secs and reinstall it.It may have learned bad habits from a previous owner.It will now relearn your driving habits.The auto box is in essence a sequential operation.Keep your foot down and and change gear.Whether in manu mode or full auto;it really doesn't matter.Autos have gears so that they can be utilised;otherwise they would have only one gear.In four years of driving,i have never been in a situation where i wished i were in a manual..All of my previous cars have been manual.

Mitsi Matt.If you find that you hate the auto ,i can only suggest that you are driving it incorrectly.Use the box more like a manual and it will reward you.If its slow,try removing the fuse to the box.Leave it out for about 10 secs and reinstall it.It may have learned bad habits from a previous owner.It will now relearn your driving habits.The auto box is in essence a sequential operation.Keep your foot down and and change gear.Whether in manu mode or full auto;it really doesn't matter.Autos have gears so that they can be utilised;otherwise they would have only one gear.In four years of driving,i have never been in a situation where i wished i were in a manual..All of my previous cars have been manual.

cool i will have a go at removing the fuse & see if that sharpens it up some! just seems very slow almost sloppy. even my old auto soarer was better than the supra gearbox wise.