The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater Matrix?

Animal

Just drove back from a gig and got a nasty coolant smell and all my windows misted up. Am I right in thinking it's the bloody matrix that's gone?

I'm knackered now, so haven't checked much - just felt the footwells and they are dry.

It's was in the garage round the corner for an MOT this afternoon and it was fine before that, there's nothing they could have buggered up is there?

Bah, humbug.

Sounds like a Matrix related problem to me :(

Either the matrix is shot or one of the seals has gone i'd say, either way it's a dash out job i'm afraid. It's unlikely to have been caused by anything they were doing for an MOT IMO, as the matrix pipes are secured to the bulkhead with a bracket.

You can pick em up fairly cheap, 70quid IIRC rather than the toyota equivalent

It's not the cost of the matrix that's the problem :(

It's do-able at home over a weekend Animal, just be careful removing the heater pipes on the engine side of the bulkhead, as they're fragile and expensive!

A couple of Supra owners I know have used those without an issue

Are you going to give this a go yourself?

Cool, ordered one this afternoon.

My dad used to be a mechanic and will give me a hand, seeing as I'm a one-armed fuckwit when I try using a spanner.

I've looked at the guide, and other than being a ball-ache pulling half the car apart, it seems easy enough. That'll be next weekend's job.

It's time consuming, you need patience to not break clips and connectors, and it will take three times as long as you think, first time around, but it's not rocket science and can be done with basic tools. Rush it at your peril though! Whilst the neighbour's old XJS rusts and drinks petrol he is smugly thinking that a heater matrix change is a 15 minute job. C'est la vie.

Well - done it. :) Took my dad and me about 8 hours or so. Not a nightmare of a job, but definitely a pain in the arse (or in my case, shoulder) to do. Ended up with 3 spare bolts though :blink: Look like dash panel bolts, so I might be playing 'spot the rattle' for a while.

I just hope that the air con evaporator isn't the source of my leaking air con 'cos I'm buggered if I'm pulling the dash apart again if I can help it. It would be nice if I actually had the time to do stuff in the right order, I'd have had the air con tested first in that case. Ah well. On the plud side - we actually got round to fixing my rear wiper that's not worked for over 2 years, lol.

• 1 month later...