The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are import Supras really 280bhp?

Worthy

Hi, my first post. :)

Basically I'm buying a Supra, and I've noticed that imports are said to be 280bhp as standard, with the UK spec ones being 326bhp. Now 46bhp is quite a difference, but is it really 280bhp for import TTs, or do they just claim that because of the marketing laws in Japan? I'm getting sick of trying to find a UK spec manual, so I was thinking of buying an import and spending the money I'd save on the extra insurance, and doin the brakes up, with the possibility of adding RLTC too.

Any help appreciated. :)

Thanks. :)

When you say they are basically the same, do you mean the same as in they are both 320bhp, or the Jap ones are 280?

Sorry for being thick.

On another note, has anyone dealt with Keighley? I was going to ring them and ask if they can keep an eye out for a manual for me.

I'm getting sick of trying to find a UK spec manual, so I was thinking of buying an import and spending the money I'd save on the extra insurance, and doin the brakes up, with the possibility of adding RLTC too.

What insurance money would you save? generally the imports are a fair bit more to insure than the UK ones. Unless i've read it wrong :looney:

Not you my post wasn't that clear. The performance from the JAP and the UK cars are very similar about 326BHP I believe, but the imports are more expensive to insurance because insurance companies fall off their chairs when you say the word import and then charge you for the privilege.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

True, i just didn't want to upset anyone, oviously i think the UK specs have more power! :p

Why else put 550's in instead of 440's??? Makes sense!

Paul ;)

Must be there then to help pull all that extra weight around :p

Originally posted by Worthy

Thanks. :)

When you say they are basically the same, do you mean the same as in they are both 320bhp, or the Jap ones are 280?

Sorry for being thick.

On another note, has anyone dealt with Keighley? I was going to ring them and ask if they can keep an eye out for a manual for me.

Hi Worthy, be careful with Keighley - I don't speak from personal experience but I haven't heard great things about them, and their prices seem to good to be true.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has first hand experience of them.

Originally posted by Gough

Hi Worthy, be careful with Keighley - I don't speak from personal experience but I haven't heard great things about them, and their prices seem to good to be true.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has first hand experience of them.

Not wanting to spread doom and despondency or cast aspersions upon a traders name but if you search the name keighley on here you might find a bit of interesting information.

I think it's already been said but just to summarise...

Toyota, Honda and Nissan agreed to limit their cars to 280bhp to avoid a costly race to produce ever more powerful cars. The J Spec Supra is therefore quoted at 280bhp but is generally accepted as having the same output as the UK version (ie, around 326bhp). Toyota simply said it's only got 280bhp to meet the agreement. There is document proof of at least one totally standard J spec having 326bhp on the dyno.

The injectors argument is fair enough, but the UK model is heavier anyway so it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Both are great cars.

On a related note, the Honda NSX is quoted as 280bhp but does anyone know if this too is an untrue figure?

I wouldn't get too hung up about the figures, in real life they are about the same - you'll not really notice.

When you first get the car you probably think it's got loads of power, more than enough. After a short while that will change to it's OK then fairly shortly to just about enough.

That is when you start spending and for a long time it will stay on just about enough.

Don't touch keighley trade centre with a bargepole (if this is the place you are referring to).

Cars are crap quality at best. Staff have the combined IQ of orange peel.

Take a look at their cars by all means, there is always SOMETHING up with thm - locks missing, turbo's held on with duct tape.

NA-T advertised as "large single turbo" granted thats correct, but its still an NA with a turbo bolted on (IIRC they wanted ~20k for that one).

If you want a list of decent places in that area pm me and mcanny as I think we both have similar knowledge of the area and its pitfalls.

Aye Keighley Trade Centre, that's the one. I had to admit the guy didn't sound like the brightest of sparks on the phone. He said he's got a couple of TT's coming in at the end of June so I might pop up and take one for a spin if I haven't found one by then.

I did wonder about that single turbo. I aint an expert on Supras but I thought 'Hmmm, that looks like an NA to me, and what's with all the tape?'

Iv been to look at cars from Keithly Trade centre and they are poor examples. I also know some one who has heard a lot of shit about them. They dont have a good rep round that area!

They always have plenty of good looking cars for sale but on close inspection they are scabby. Also every car they have in claims to have a veilside kit on and they are clearly not.

keep away bud.

kev.

walk away boys !!!!!!! i have been and seen....expect to pay loads of money on repairs , thats why they are cheap.

and thats why you shouild always carry protection ... you never know when you going to meet one .................FIT BIRD WITH MINI SKIRTS :p

JUST INCASE , you never know who is reading this !!!!!