The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone regret having their car resprayed?

jevansio

The paint work on my car is average at best, it shines up well for photos, but in person it lets the car down.

When I first got it the bonnet was a mess & I had that resprayed so it was perfect. Now 2 years later of hard driving it's a mess again, all stone chipped & swirl marks. I get the feeling if I have a respray it may look good for a bit but I would soon be back where I am now.

I have always wanted a respray, but want to know if anyone who was in the same position as me regrets it after their car is back to the way it was after a couple of years?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel your pain dude, mine is the same, stone chips are a nightmare on a black car. Im looking into that plastic film stuff, soon as it gets really bad i'll get it done again then fire on the plastic film.

I love black cars but there a nightmare for stone chips. :D

I like a spotless car, mine has had a few touch ups a year or so back and still looks good i think, best thing i did was to get stonkin to detail it, made it so easy to look after the paint ever since.

Ive had my front lip sprayed 4 times now, baldy did it a few weeks back for me and on the way home i drove down a pothole and smashed the bottom off, i was sick:(

So you guys think it's probably worth it as long as I keep on top of it, I actually think I could sort my bonnet out with a bit work, it's the other older panels that are the worst, they are beyond help.

Also my wings are covered in metallic black paint form when I sprayed my engine bay but couldn't be arsed to tape off the outside.

I do feel like even if it did go back to the way it was, it would be good to have a perfect outside at least for a short while, it must be a better starting point than where I am now

So you guys think it's probably worth it as long as I keep on top of it, I actually think I could sort my bonnet out with a bit work, it's the other older panels that are the worst, they are beyond help.

Also my wings are covered in metallic black paint form when I sprayed my engine bay but couldn't be arsed to tape off the outside.

I do feel like even if it did go back to the way it was, it would be good to have a perfect outside at least for a short while, it must be a better starting point than where I am now

If you put it like this with other panels being the way you stated, I'd go with a full respray. You do have a stunning car & one of my favourite of the club, would be a shame to let it down with a dull look.

You thinking of keeping the same colour Jay?

If you put it like this with other panels being the way you stated, I'd go with a full respray. You do have a stunning car & one of my favourite of the club, would be a shame to let it down with a dull look.

You thinking of keeping the same colour Jay?

:thumbs:

Defo black, it's a pain but it's the best colour :D

I like a spotless car, mine has had a few touch ups a year or so back and still looks good i think, best thing i did was to get stonkin to detail it, made it so easy to look after the paint ever since.

Ive had my front lip sprayed 4 times now, baldy did it a few weeks back for me and on the way home i drove down a pothole and smashed the bottom off, i was sick:(

you need a Urethane lip,at least that will flex a bit

i resprayed mine as it was tatty,sometimes i think i should of left it but then mostly i love it now.im just paranoid about leaving it anywhere now.

if you want it resprayed get it done with i good quality high solid clear coat,it will cure much harder,and so be better wearing,or an anti scratch(also known as self healing clear as used on some high end cars).

Edited by baldy (see edit history)

Guest blueangel
Uh... Dunno. I know they can "do" shiny as a finish, but as for polishing? I would guess not but it's only a guess.

yeah you can polish the vinyl but it shows up the scratches more swirl marks mainly.

Rob could you pm me a price for a full spray job it'l be in basecoat.

A proper polish by a pro (wash, clay, paint cleanser, glaze, orbital buff etc) might do the job for you Jay, bound to be worth asking someone (your local equivalent of Stonkin or Peter Richards). Plenty of detailers will do the stone chips too.

I love the car in black and after a decent polish and wax, it's very easy to keep clean. I just have the front bumper and splitter resprayed for £150 every once in a while. :)

Just try not to drive too close to the car in front if you don't want stone chips on your bonnet.