The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aquamist/Hybrids/FMIC and resulting EGT Temps

heckler

Guys n' Gals...

I dont know if this will interest any of you, but id certainly intersted me once i tried it... (and I know this will interest one person in particular ;) )

I know with the supra the best thing is to keep the EGT's down...

I have the Defi EGT guage, with the probe mounted as below on the No 1. runner

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/probe.jpg

with the spec at the time

CW Decat Pipes

HKS Super Dragger

Apexi Intake

J-Spec Turbos (1.2 bar)

FSE Fuel Pump

HKS Plugs

The highest EGT i got was approx 920 degs... warm, i know..

Then I got a HKS "S" type FMIC, this brought the EGT's down to approx 820/830 ish degs...

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/hks8.JPG

I then purchased an Aquamist 1s system and plumbed it into the washer bottle - and the jet is mounted on the FMIC Hard pipe, just infront of the throttle

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/aqua2.JPG

Then it went pete tong on me, the turbos went. so, after much thinking (5 mins) I strapped on some Hybrids (I know these generate more heat)

At the mo I'm only running 1.1 bar - the EGT's climbed slightly but nothing significant. 830/840 degs.

I was quite happy to see those temps, only to realise the Aquamist system wasnt triggering - last week I got the aquamist to come on at approx 0.8 bar Now the fun begins...

After some WOT in 3/4/5/6 gears.. (on a warm day last week) my EGT's wont go above 740... But I am sure as soon as I increase the boost from 1.1 bar to 1.45 bar the EGT's will rise, how much I dont know, I'm gonna have to wait 5 weeks to find out!

If this has been of any interest, good. if not... oh well, i'd thught I'd write it anyway.

:cool:

Originally posted by Jake

Interesting . . . .

but why have you got to wait 5 weeks before turning the boost up? Is this like 'running-in' for turbos or somesuch?

Nope, I have a blitz boost controller sat at home along with my car... I'm in the Gulf for 5 weeks. :conf:

That is interesting.

I have just had a Blitz FMIC fitted and tonight looked at my peak temps as shown on the Defi Bf gauge. It is worryingly high at just below 1000 degs at 1.25 bar. :eek:

Methinks I will lower the boost slightly.

Originally posted by CJ

That is interesting.

I have just had a Blitz FMIC fitted and tonight looked at my peak temps as shown on the Defi Bf gauge. It is worryingly high at just below 1000 degs at 1.25 bar. :eek:

Methinks I will lower the boost slightly.

Oooooh, thats a bit on the warm side....

:flame Dev

have they now sorted out the serious problems they had with their pumps? I know a few people who had 2 or 3 pumps fail, Pete at Thor had a couple go as well. I believe they were improving the design but it would be good to hear from some of the old timers who are using WI to see if the pumps are any better.

JB

Go on then I'll start it off seeing as it's only a matter of time. I would have put a link to all the previous posts but couldn't find it using the search anyways here goes:

I really don't like the idea of using water injection to reduce egt. In my very humble opinion, and (if I could find the threads before-hand) the opinion of a number of people is that it's a bit of a band-aid. I would much rather find the cause of the high egt and solve that rather than pay out for wi, and potentially have an engine killing problem lurking in the shadows.

It's the old "what happens if your car runs out of water?"which the reply was "why would you let your car run out of water? you wouldn't let it run out of fuel would ya?" the reply to that being "you do it your way I'll do it mine". You remember the thread don't you. :sly:

All I can say is prevention is better than cure!

Regards

Tony

Oh yeah by the way, CJ, 1000 degrees :eek: . Hehehe. Your only trying to blow it up so you can crack her open and paint the insides orange aren't you. Be honest now. :thumbs:

I have just realised that my 1000 deg was "achieved" prior to fitting my FMIC and when I had inadvertantly hit 1.5 bar using the true twin system.

I forgot that I hadn't cleared that peak since :)

i have fmic and aquamist and have gone as high as 1050 on egt. want to try get a seperate tank made up to use for water injection and run 50/50 water/methonol

mine is plumbed into the front of the intake where intercooler pipe fixes to intake, fitted by cw

would like to do some more cooling mods. going for a trd copy bonnet to try keep temps down as the stock jap bonnet seems to keep heat in.

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

i have fmic and aquamist and have gone as high as 1050 on egt. want to try get a seperate tank made up to use for water injection and run 50/50 water/methonol

mine is plumbed into the front of the intake where intercooler pipe fixes to intake, fitted by cw

would like to do some more cooling mods. going for a trd copy bonnet to try keep temps down as the stock jap bonnet seems to keep heat in.

I noticed, I had a quick look when I was at Dudes having my hybrids fitted... seems odd that between cars with practically identical engines that the EGT's differ so much.

Originally posted by heckler

I noticed, I had a quick look when I was at Dudes having my hybrids fitted... seems odd that between cars with practically identical engines that the EGT's differ so much.

is yours in the washer bottle too. i want to try 50/50 mix as i heard its good for cooling. a bloke in a cortina runs 100% methonol in his along with big shot of nos

do you over boost much and do you have a boost controller fitted

yeah, mines plumbed into the washer bottle...

Overboost, at the mo not a chance, and no i dont have a boost controller fitted yet - just had hybrids fitted cant get over 1.1 bar... :( as soon as the controller goes on, wind it upto 1.45 bar, and see where the EGT's go.

Originally posted by heckler

yeah, mines plumbed into the washer bottle...

Overboost, at the mo not a chance, and no i dont have a boost controller fitted yet - just had hybrids fitted cant get over 1.1 bar... :( as soon as the controller goes on, wind it upto 1.45 bar, and see where the EGT's go.

I cant get mine over 950 at full WOT under strain

:thumbs:

Guest Terry S

but why is 950 good. High EGT's are a syptom of the hybrids and stock turbo's running higher boost.

On the WI, I had a lot of trouble with the aquamist pumps, even though the pump was located in a warm dry place. I have found a much more manly pump now if anyone's fails. The pressure it runs is not as high, but high enough to make the mist pattern acceptable at 2 bar.

:p

Still deciding what intercooler and rad to go for at the moment, but the single should not be generating no way near as much heat as hybrids or over pushed stock turbos as I am still in my effeciency range at 1.6bar.

:thumbs: