The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Nightmare

Gough

I've spent the last couple of days calling round for insurance quotes, including calling pretty much all the recommended insurance companies. I'm 21 and getting a supra tt j spec in a couple of weeks.

Best quote (by about £500): £2700

Before I ordered the car from japan, I first checked to make sure I could afford the insurance. This was two months ago. Generally the quotes were around £2000 which is fine for me.

What seems to have happened between now and then is that the vast majority of import insurers have imposed no-under 25s policies for all seriously high performance j-specs including the supra.

So my advice to all under 25s, (contrary to what I thought I knew about one week ago) thinking of purchsing a supra j spec, is to ensure you get an acceptable quote (or two) beforehand in order to avoid a heart attack when you've already put down a deposit on your dream car :(

One question from me; if I was to put toyota (or replica toyota) side and rear skirts on the car, would I be right in presuming that this would not have to be declared as it is a factory option?

Regards,

Joe

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Gough

One question from me; if I was to put toyota (or replica toyota) side and rear skirts on the car, would I be right in presuming that this would not have to be declared as it is a factory option?

Correct.

There's a young guy with a JSpec TT where I work, I'm not sure how old he is exactly but he looks to be in his early 20's, I know his insurance is less than a grand though. I'll ask him on Tuesday who he's with and let you know.

When does your car arrive?

I don't know what is going on but very recently the full ish toyota supra line finally made it onto the insurance company net. So now instead of paying mk3 uk insurance the buggers have now reclassified our cars from a class A car to a class Y car. Now I was never aware of a classification system but this came from a tesco's insurance rep. I think a lot of the problems insurance wise at the moment is down to this re-classification on insurance company computers.

I had a bit of a problem with Elephant, or at least the person at the end of the phone:

Elephant: "What model are you looking to insure?"

Me: "An imported supra twin turbo GZ"

Elephant: "I'm sorry but we only have the twin turbo on our books, not the GZ"

Me: "Its still a twin turbo though!"

Elephant: "I'm sorry but we can't insure you on that model sir"

Me: but....but.... :mad:

Jake; thanks m8 I would be very interested to know the insurerer of that chap. My car should arrive (at the docks) within the next two weeks. At least I can put the standard side/rear skirts on :)

Elephant: "I'm sorry but we only have the twin turbo on our books, not the GZ"

Me: "Its still a twin turbo though!"

Call back the next day and ask to be insured on a Supra turbo.

Be as simple as possible when you're talking to insurance people ;)

Yeah but not too simple. Reason my insurance was only £450 for the last 2 years was I (they blame me of course) hadn't been specific enough about my car model and they put me down as a supra 3.0l which translates as a UK mk3 supra. As they didn't have any other model on their computer thats what they insured me under. Gotta be double dog sure with insurance companies ya really do.

Originally posted by Jake

Correct.

There's a young guy with a JSpec TT where I work, I'm not sure how old he is exactly but he looks to be in his early 20's, I know his insurance is less than a grand though. I'll ask him on Tuesday who he's with and let you know.

When does your car arrive?

Sorry to be a pain, but I don't supposed you managed to get the name of the insurer of this guy did you?

Still haven't managed to get below £2700 :(

Sorry to be a pain, but I don't supposed you managed to get the name of the insurer of this guy did you?

Still haven't managed to get below £2700 :(

Sorry mate, I pulled a sickie the last two days (Hey it's the only perk us permies get, right?)

I'll see him tomorrow though.

Apologies for the delay

Originally posted by DaveRex

yeah the over 25 thing is certainly true for elephant and tesco

who unfortutely for most in that bracket were the cheapest

Dave

Yep but you will find that the reason for that was they were misquoting the insurance and were in fact under the impression that they were insuring mk3's. I know they said they were aware that your cars were mk4's but the underwriters clearly didnt as I have found out with mine. When you list the car as an SZ supra now (an option that untill recently wasn't available on the underwriters records) the car goes from a class L car up to a class Y and the premium all but doubles. I have been with tesco's for 2 years on a £450 premium and due to my concern I phoned them up to clarify my car model and they told me it had been miss-insured. They did say that had a claim been registered they would more than likely have paid out but thats not a risk I wished to take. Future quotes will be on mk4's as the underwriters now recognise the cars which is why certain age groups can now no longer get quotes on mk4's

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Yep but you will find that the reason for that was they were misquoting the insurance and were in fact under the impression that they were insuring mk3's. I know they said they were aware that your cars were mk4's but the underwriters clearly didnt as I have found out with mine. When you list the car as an SZ supra now (an option that untill recently wasn't available on the underwriters records) the car goes from a class L car up to a class Y and the premium all but doubles. I have been with tesco's for 2 years on a £450 premium and due to my concern I phoned them up to clarify my car model and they told me it had been miss-insured. They did say that had a claim been registered they would more than likely have paid out but thats not a risk I wished to take. Future quotes will be on mk4's as the underwriters now recognise the cars which is why certain age groups can now no longer get quotes on mk4's

Interesting stuff, not could for people wishing to get insured now

Originally posted by DaveRex

Interesting stuff, not could for people wishing to get insured now

Not all that clever for people currently insured with tescos under the misconception that they are insured properly. If you have a prang (god forbid) and need to claim I bet the whole process would be a total nightmare.

Go onto the Elephant web site and put in the number plate of the car, it brings up Supra FI or something simelar. Mine is a J-Spec TT and it comes up on their database. That way if you do need to make a claim and something is amiss, then its down to them as you gave them the number plate of your car and they know what it is!

Came in at about £600 odd for a 95 tt import, 29, two years ncb.

Not all that clever for people currently insured with tescos under the misconception that they are insured properly. If you have a prang (god forbid) and need to claim I bet the whole process would be a total nightmare.

well I have a Rx-7 with them but I see your point

Originally posted by Barry

Go onto the Elephant web site and put in the number plate of the car, it brings up Supra FI or something simelar. Mine is a J-Spec TT and it comes up on their database. That way if you do need to make a claim and something is amiss, then its down to them as you gave them the number plate of your car and they know what it is!

Came in at about £600 odd for a 95 tt import, 29, two years ncb.

Nope its your fault for incorrectly insuring your car mate. The registration number of the car is only a guideline to make their quoting process quicker. One of the board members here put in his rego and it came back with a mercedes something or other. When it comes to paying out you may find them try and wash their hands of it. Oh and a supra f1 is apparently a mk3 type.

I had heard about this aswell, and was a littl worried about my insurance renewal coming through im 24 now, and it came through off elephant at 700 quid, its a uk but still me under 25 dont know if it makes a difference.

but my [quote of tesco insitsts that my car is a mk3 aswell :(

Nope its your fault for incorrectly insuring your car mate. The registration number of the car is only a guideline to make their quoting process quicker. One of the board members here put in his rego and it came back with a mercedes something or other. When it comes to paying out you may find them try and wash their hands of it. Oh and a supra f1 is apparently a mk3 type.

:eek:

Lucky I didn't go with them then!!! :(

If you stipulate in the phonecall that it is a mk4 supra and its type and they come back to you saying the same thing write down the operators name the time and date and that way you have some comeback on them if it all goes wrong. Don't just accept what they say from the DVLA's records. Best bet is to get an assured valuation cert with pictures of the car if you are going to go with the DVLA record and hence cheaper insurance as they will have a picture of the car as well then.

Im going through all the insurance stuff now.

My renewal with elephant is £700+, went to Bell and Admiral and both are quoting £520, I expressed my surprise that they were different when its the same company and he said 'you arent the first person to notice that'. I also tried confused.com and they found admiral to be the cheapest at £460 but it misquoted as it thought the car was an 86-93 and not a 93-96, their proper quote is £520.

Went to A-plan and they were only quoting on imports, tried Tescos and Direct line (exactly the same online quote system) and they were over £800, tried performance direct and they did a call back and it failed.

So any other recommendations for who's good with UK specs? I have been back through the search and cant see any other insurers who are worth a go...

JB