The mkiv Supra Owners Club

re polishing my alloys [pics] [more pics added]

Dave

im going to get my allloys repolished as the laquer has all chipped and they look s%%t ,so got one wheel off on sunday and i thought i would have a try myself, so rubbed it down with wet n dry and it hasnt come out too bad, my question is what do you use to seal the metal when polished as there not going to be re laquered.

its probably easier to get them done professionally as its only £30 quid a wheel .

before and after pics .ive just done a section on the after pic

pic 1 rubbed down with 400

pic 2 800

pic 3 1200

pic 4 & 5 rubbed down with 1500 using autsolvo as the lubricant [thanks for the tip izzzzythedog ]

pic 6 & 7 the finished article .

well pleased with the result :D. just got to order some sealant before they go back on the car. took me 2hours

and my arms ache like a b**st*rd

Edited by Dave
new pics (see edit history)

sand paper kammy and a lot of elbow grease , nice one dave , ive got sealants here , that i use on paintwork , ill find out mate if its any good on unprotected surfaces

Sorry Guys, don't mean to hijack this post but won't the above scratch the polished lip. Is there any specific way of doing this. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry Guys, don't mean to hijack this post but won't the above scratch the polished lip. Is there any specific way of doing this. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

i started with 400 then 800 and finish off with 1200 and lots of soapy water, then polish with autosolvo

but you will need a sealant on the rims when you have finished otherwise they will get grubby again

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

strewth dave, nice job! im in dire need of mine getting refurbed but it just aint possible at the moment as i need the car pretty much everyday apart from the odd weekend here and there. might have an attempt myself at them after seeing how yours have come out

strewth dave, nice job! im in dire need of mine getting refurbed but it just aint possible at the moment as i need the car pretty much everyday apart from the odd weekend here and there. might have an attempt myself at them after seeing how yours have come out

hi mate how you doing ? yeah its a lot of elbow grease check out the sealant above looks the dogs [2nd one]

hi mate how you doing ? yeah its a lot of elbow grease check out the sealant above looks the dogs [2nd one]

yeah, its going good thanks. hope everything is fine over there.

i was just looking at that sealent, seems a reasonable price aswell. how long per wheel do you reckon it took you? my fronts are in a similar condition and my rears slightly worse

yeah, its going good thanks. hope everything is fine over there.

i was just looking at that sealent, seems a reasonable price aswell. how long per wheel do you reckon it took you? my fronts are in a similar condition and my rears slightly worse

getting some fresh wet n dry tomorrow and gonna do the rest of the wheel, i reckon to get it looking good about 3 hours per wheel might get my self one of those dual action polishers with the cash i saved from having them done in swansea

will post up pics when ive done it

theres nothing on the market thats a perminat fix unless its sprayed that i know of

a tip for getting a mirror polish is to use 1500 grit but use autosol as the lubricant rather than water , after this polish with neat polish and its as perfect a suface as you can get at home

yes it looks like you have to do it once a month maybe

thanks for the tip will try that :D

Hats off to you Dave, from ther info i've received it sounds like a lot of hard work and also a bit complicated. To be honest, i'm not sure I'd take the risk incase I damaged my wheels more than they already are. I think i'd rather take them to somebody who knows what they are doing.

:thumbs:

:clap:

Good job mate, If you don't mind what is this "wet and dry" and where do you get it from? Is it expensive? Just asking as I also need to do my own.

Thanks

Kam

The term 'wet and dry' means it can be used that way - with or without water!

Bodyshops use it to 'flat down' bodywork before and in between coats when preping before doing a spray job.

Most good auto shops will stock them and you buy it by the sheet so shouldn't be too expensive. Just look for body filler etc and they will be nearby.

Comes in different grades from course to ultra fine so if the fine/ultra fine grades are used there will not be any noticeable scoring or scratching and using something like Solvel Autosol to polish will be fine :innocent:

Looks like this(see attch)

Sand Paper.jpg

£50 quid for a small bottle your right it is pricy

Well it depends on whether you value your wallet more than your hands and arms.;)

I would prefer do it properly and forget about it for two years rather than have to rub down and reseal or wax every couple of months.

Well it depends on whether you value your wallet more than your hands and arms.;)

I would prefer do it properly and forget about it for two years rather than have to rub down and reseal or wax every couple of months.

your not wrong there mate