The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Restoring the Dash Buttons

devan

The heater dash buttons in my car have faded from the nice clear white colour they were from the factory, to a yellowy colour.

Anybody know any methods for remvoing the yellowing and getting it back to a nice crisp clear colour?

Cheers,

Ash.

Im not sure if they were white, but im guessing they wouldnt of been yellow from the factory.

They are white when they are new, you certainly notice the difference when you put the old and new ones together. I've sold quite a few sets of these, so someone on here may have before and after pics.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1994_TOYOTA_SUPRA_JZA80-ALMVF_8715.html

Here they are on ToyoDIY, but when they are all added up, suppose they will cost a bit for what they are. I totaled them up to $67.79, about £45 for the ten buttons.

I'd probably pay that, but then I'd have to refresh the rest of the buttons, knobs, etc as I'm a bit 'ocd' like that.

Well all of the rest of my buttons are white, its just these main buttons which are yellow.

Looks great at night because ive given it a bit of blue LED conversionness, but in the day when the LED's arent on, its looks old and faded.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have requested a price and are ordering at some point together with some other stuff. However, they quoted me roughly 80£ here in DK. I'm about to ask for a quote from the US including some other stuff to see if that will save me anything. Here are the part numbers for the buttons :

(all of them start with 55905-)

OFF: 14320

AUTO: 14330

RR-DEF: 14340

A/C: 14350

FACE: 14360

DEF: 14370

REC/FRC: 14220

B/L: 14250

FOOT: 14260

F/D: 14270

TEMP: 14300

BLOW: 14310

• 6 months later...

Was looking for this thread on how to remove the air con unit buttons. You should't need to remove the unit from the dash like I did. If you can get something into the little holes on the side of each button they just ease out. Took a pic to show how they're held in for anyone's future ref.

Buttons_out.jpg

They are on separate circuits. The button illumination comes on when the side/head lights are on, and the selection light comes on with the ignition key. If some of the button lights are coming on in both rows, it seems to me you have some dead LED's behind the buttons? If the whole row is out, maybe LED's again or a wire in the loom behind the cluster is loose. You can use a circuit tester on the LED legs.

I followed this guide to do my LED's. There is a step by step on how to open the AC control unit.

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/aesthetics/33283-diy-mkiv-late-model-led-dash-conversion-idiots-guide.html

They are on separate circuits. The button illumination comes on when the side/head lights are on, and the selection light comes on with the ignition key. If some of the button lights are coming on in both rows, it seems to me you have some dead LED's behind the buttons? If the whole row is out, maybe LED's again or a wire in the loom behind the cluster is loose. You can use a circuit tester on the LED legs.

I followed this guide to do my LED's. There is a step by step on how to open the AC control unit.

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/aesthetics/33283-diy-mkiv-late-model-led-dash-conversion-idiots-guide.html

Thanks mate.

I am useless at electronic stuff though, will most likely have to get someone to do it for me.