The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Safety question? Roll cage in a street car?

JamieP

Street car safe with a cage??  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Street car safe with a cage??

• Safer with a cage
    • Safer without a cage

Whats your thoughts on running a full roll cage in a street car?

The way i look at it is i only run my car at the pod once a year and im not planning on doing anymore trackdays, would the chance of banging my head on the scaffolding all round me in even the slightest of bumps on the street out weigh the saftey side of having a cage for the one day a year i run at the pod?

Im thinking im better off without a cage, your thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is it worth putting in, if your only going to be racing the car a few times?? if your doing it more often that you blast done the motorway go for it. @ 190mph if you crash it, your going to be toast anyway. you'l just look good being peeled off your new shiney cage.

what happens if you want to go down the shops for milk/bread, i thought the idea of a street car was just that?? dont a roll cage defeat the purpose??

Depends how much you value your life? I agree a cage is a pain in daily driven car, but is your Supra really a car you use everyday? Your driving style combined with the power levels you're aiming for would make me want as much protection as possible.

Do you really think you will never do a track day in it again? We have heard this before from you. Why not look into having a cage made that's easily fitted when needed, and removable when not.

Depends how much you value your life? I agree a cage is a pain in daily driven car, but is your Supra really a car you use everyday? Your driving style combined with the power levels you're aiming for would make me want as much protection as possible.

Do you really think you will never do a track day in it again? We have heard this before from you. Why not look into having a cage made that's easily fitted when needed, and removable when not.

I use it all the time mate, must drive it 4 or 5 times a week, i did 8000 miles last year between mot's and 10,000 the year before that.

Ive only done two trackdays in it and now with a bigger turbo going on i cant see it being ideal for trackdays.

cages should only be used if you are wearing a helmet

Thats my thinking, the chance of splitting my head open at the smallest of bumps puts me off.

I use it all the time mate, must drive it 4 or 5 times a week, i did 8000 miles last year between mot's and 10,000 the year before that.

Ive only done two trackdays in it and now with a bigger turbo going on i cant see it being ideal for trackdays.

Thats my thinking, the chance of splitting my head open at the smallest of bumps puts me off.

Hardly seems worth putting in a track day specific cage if that's all you've done in 2 years. Still, if the only thing putting you off a cage is the headroom issue, then have a look at the way RUF put cages into some of their cars - you wouldn't even know they had one. Otherwise just live with the risk of having a shorter neck and a bald patch :D

Are there not cage options which don't have bars directly inline with your head?

I've been in a couple of Supra's with full cages and really wouldn't want to drive one on the road without a crash helmet for the reasons you've mentioned!

I expect that if you are hit hard enough on a road to need the cage, the cage wouldn't make much difference in any event. You get hit by a lorry or an oncoming car and nothing short of a Sherman isn't doing to make much difference.

I have also been told that they make it much harder to get you out if there is a crash too.

I voted without a cage, personally I think it would be more important if you were doing trackdays where their is the chance of a roll or collision. With only with one or a couple more drag run's (with the setup you got) I don't see the need. As Geo mentioned crashing at 180+ these things won't be much help. Plus you use your car often so would be more comfortable without one in.

I expect that if you are hit hard enough on a road to need the cage, the cage wouldn't make much difference in any event. You get hit by a lorry or an oncoming car and nothing short of a Sherman isn't doing to make much difference.

I have also been told that they make it much harder to get you out if there is a crash too.

i can imagine that actually. plus it has to be a good cage otherwise it could bend into your head. (it can happen) ...

i don't think i'd put a cage in unless it was my track car. then i'd think about it. on the road if you crash at speed your pretty stuffed anyway. no safety barriers or sand traps to slow you down.

just my 2p

Are there not cage options which don't have bars directly inline with your head?

I've been in a couple of Supra's with full cages and really wouldn't want to drive one on the road without a crash helmet for the reasons you've mentioned!

I cant see how they would keep the bars away from your head mate, even the rear cages everything it very close if you are tall.

I cant see how they would keep the bars away from your head mate, even the rear cages everything it very close if you are tall.

Like so, and yes there is a cage in there ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=108067&d=1271107053

I've voted no purely from the information you have given on how many trackdays you have done. Should this change, anything is possible with you, I would vote for a cage ;):)

964ruf3ez3.jpg

I would maybe look into something custom being made which is hidden/ built into the existing interior. More protection than standard but without the danger of the cage in everyday driving. For example the TVR cerbra has a built in cage which runs in the pillar trims and within the headlining. If you find a picture of a burnt out one you can see the cage left.

I think this would be your best option.

I don't think it is worth it mate. I'm not meaning to be grim but I just want to lay my thoughts on the line. In the event of a crash the rollcage is only any good for rolling. If, lets not say you, someone was to hit a wall, barrier, pole, tree, etc, etc, etc at speed the deceleration is what comes into the equation, not if the roof collapses on your head. The main causes of death in road accidents is extreme deceleration causing internal injuries and empalement causing internal/fatal injuries. Of course crushing and trapping is in there, where the cage would be very very effective, but it isn't the issue you want to be gambling on.

IMO the halfcage is more than enough for the dangers of rolling on the main roads. The real danger is hitting an immoveable object.

Rollcage's are dangerous on the road. If you aren't wearing a helmet you could be killed in a relatively normal accident.

Half cage or no cage for me.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

I'm voting no.

I have another road legal car that has a cage but also has four point harnesses. I'm now coming around to thinking that track use of that car (with helmet and harnesses) warrants the use of a Hans type neck restraint system. Jay touched on the issues of harnesses and helmets with no neck restraint system and the reading gets nasty pretty quick when you delve into the details.

So....Hans device due to harness and helmet.....helmet and harness due to cage....way too much for a daily driver.