The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Poor starting and missing

CJ

As normal, I tried to start the car this morning via remote start to give it a chance to warm up before going out. It tried 3 times and failed. I then started the car manually and whilst it did start, it took a lot longer than normal. When it was started the idle sounded rough and when i tried to put it into gear (auto) it almost stalled.

I left it for a while and then drove off but it was missing like hell. After about 2-3 minutes it then perked up and has been OK since.

The only recent changes have been an FMIC (I cannot see how that could be related) and body mods. The body mods inclduded a TRD bonnet with the cut outs. As it was raining heavily last night, could this be the problem? i.e. Water coming through the vents onto the engine. If so, would an overnight body cover sort it out?

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

doesnt the bonnet have rain gulleys on it to direct the rain off into areas where it can just drain straight through without gettting into electrical areas or mechanical?

apart from the starting up, hows the grin :D

Mmm...I just looked and mine does not have any gulleys fitted. Do these come ready fitted or are they parts that need to be fitted afterwards?

The grin (and pose) factor is still awesome! :D

Originally posted by Timwildman

Didn't you have a problem with the ignition coils? maybe water has got into the bad coil connector?

It was the ignitor box I had problems with. Apparently the clip that holds it closed wasn't doing its job properly. Since I had Mr. T look at it (2 months ago at least) it has been fine.

being honest i dont know if the TRD bonnet came with some, but i know some bonnets do, if this problem turns out to be water related, may be worth getting some made or put on (if can be bought)

If water gets in it can take quite a while for it all to disapear again due to capilary attraction.

When i put a RS turbo bonnet on my xr3i, if use to chuck all the water onto the MFI unit :stupid:

Oh also how the school run go? :D

Oh also how the school run go? :D

School run was superb for Joshy - his grin was bigger than mine normally is.

As for the gulleys, I will have to ask dude if they came with the bonnet and he forgot to fit them. It is a genuine TRD and therefore should have all the bells and whistles eh?

Originally posted by CJ

School run was superb for Joshy - his grin was bigger than mine normally is.

As for the gulleys, I will have to ask dude if they came with the bonnet and he forgot to fit them. It is a genuine TRD and therefore should have all the bells and whistles eh?

No gulleys come with the TRD bonnets, you just have big holes to allow water through, that is the main reason why I have given up on the idea of getting one of them.

Ben..

but as im a NA,i dont know what the TRD bonnet vents sit over? turbos etc...

Battery - not such a big deal

Throttle Body Piping - not such a big deal

Fan Shroud Area - No biggy Either

Air Filter - Ah! Lots of water, HKS filtration, now that's what I call time for water in the intake!

Ben..

Originally posted by Soonto"HAS"soop

Air Filter - Ah! Lots of water, HKS filtration, now that's what I call time for water in the intake!

Ben..

dont like sounds of that :eek:

Would explain why it may of gone after a bit of a run, all the water will of passed through. Could this cause any damage or just cause bad running while the water is passed through?

I have an apexi induction kit so that could be the culprit eh? I have just been out again and it has started fine.

Another factor may have been that i parked it away from my garage last night and it was more out in the open. Normaly it is nose to garage door and that should help stop the water ingression.

I put a cover over the Apexi induction and despite it raining during the night, the car started just fine the next day.

Now all I have to do is to remember to take the cover off before starting in the mornings! :eek: