The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overdrive button on all Auto Supras?

M4RK RZ

I believe so, though not 100% sure about the tiptronics.

Tiptronics don't have the same overdrive on/off button as other autos. It would be redundant since you can achieve the same thing with the tiptronicness.

triptronic mode in the supras that have them is simply the same as manu mode but you have buttons on the stearing wheel isnt it? so i imagine they still have the od. its almost the same box (if not the same with different electronics?

The tiptronic steering wheel buttons allow you to select a range of gears. "D range" and the car will use all four gears, "3 range" and the car uses 1st, 2nd, 3rd but not 4th (the overdrive), "2 range" and it uses 1st and 2nd only, "L range" holds it in first.

I usually use it on the twisties to prevent the car from changing up when I lift off, or to have a lower gear already engaged before I accelerate out of a bend or overtake. Never quite got my head around manu for the brief period I had one so I'm not sure if it's the same as that.

As far as I know it's the same gearbox as less awesome autos ;), with the same ratios, just different ways of controlling it.