The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dam Clutch...

scooby_doo_do

Driving up to the NEC today and in 6th gear about 2.5 k revs accelerated (Peddle to floor), at this stage the revs went to about 4.5k revs freely before coming back down to about 3k when i noticed the car start to pull....

What on earth ?? Only seems to slip in 6th every now and then.. Only had the clutch replaced with a rsp kit about 2/3 years ago.

Need the car ready for le mans :devil:

Phoned up toyota who quoted me £600+, then i phoned Mr clutch who quoted me £550....

How long will the clutch last like this ? Do you think i'll only need the flywheel skimmed and the friction plate changing ? And will can i get it anywhere cheaper !

Craig,

Originally posted by scooby_doo_do

According to my quote from toyota i need the clutch housing at £119, the bearing and the clutch plate...

Do i really need the clutch housing ? as i bought a rsp clutch about 3 years ago and that was included in that ?

Considering the labour costs involved in changing the clutch, not replacing all 3 parts is false economy IMHO.

If you just want to bodge it up to sell it, then you may get away with it, if you're intending to keep it, its a no brainer :)

Guest Terry S

we have a GB on RPS at the moment.

Which RPS clutch was it. People have a tendancy to go for too much clutch, and they therefore have a shorter life.

I fitted one of Chris Wilson's uprated clutches and replaced the flywheel at the same time. With Chris doing the work it came to something like £900 or so, warrantied (although that goes if you drag race/track day). The clutch feels only a smidge heavier than stock, and will take more torque than stock, although I don't know how much.

Guest Terry S

all it will probably be is a stock clutch with a machined cover to give more clamping force. Will work just fine though for BPU cars.

This is the clutch i fitted 2/3 years ago... Just thought's i'd be able to use the blue bit still ?

http://www.handsontraining.co.uk/supra/clutch1.jpg

And this is the old one....

http://www.handsontraining.co.uk/supra/clutch2.jpg

http://www.handsontraining.co.uk/supra/clutch3.jpg

Guest Terry S

If you are in a rush, put the RPS cover back on and a new plate, but you really need to establish why it is slipping first. Is the the disc shagged or the cover?!

Originally posted by scooby_doo_do

Sorry to sound stupid, but what does the blue bit in the picture actually do ? I thought it was just a cover at first..

It presses the clutch disc against the flywheel. So the stronger the spring the harder is presses and the more friction. You pay for this with a harder pedal. The other thing that affects things is the coefficient of friction of the disc - in other words how grippy it is.