The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I poisoned my engine

magnos

My car was due for a mot yesterday after 3 months being off road ,she was running fine, didn`t drive it too hard but she was pulling very strong ,on my way to garage I stopped at Halfords and bought a “pre mot Winn`s clean burn emissions reducer” knowing that my car is fully decated I was worry about the emissions test so I pored about 3 quarters of the bootle in to the tank because I only had about 30 litres of petrol in,on how to use it says 1 bootle for a full tank

I arrived to the garage and noticed a strange smell when I got in there and it was coming from my car  not smoke or anything just a bad smell,she past the mot no probs with no cats on and I was very happy driving her again on a sunny day like yesterday

After like 40 miles of driving the petrol light came on and decided push the pedal a bit on my way to the petrol station and in 1st gear at around 5000rpm I after a big puffed that wasn`t the bov`s IMO the engine stoped,I tried to restart it but it stops as soon release the gas pedal,and is black smoke coming out and very smelly and spikes too when in gear and pressing the gas pedal

I managed to drive it home I was only a few minutes away ,I had to change gears very early and when in gear I couldn`t rev it more then 1200 rpm so I was doing 20-30 mph in 5th gear even 6th

My question is that I put too much of that Winn`s emissions reducer or because i didn`t drive for so long something went wrong and what it might happened to the engine …

I apologise for my bad english and I will appreciate any advice ,thank you

Reconect it the intercooler pipe wich came out from a joint but now it wont start

Edited by magnos (see edit history)

check all the way from the turbos round to the intercooler and back to the inlet manifold. I popped the hose off at the inlet, but many others have popped it at the next joint down from there.

as you said a intercooler pipe joint has popped out.:) you r a legend mate thank you,only one problem now she wont start, just before i fitted back up i tried to start it and didn`t work....i left it now for a few minutes and i`ll try again

thank you very much :))

i`ve done till battery went flat :(...i`ll try 2morrow again,any fuses i have to check?

Christ, that must be well flooded then!!

No need to check any fuses, it'll just be flooded after all the attempted starting.

The only thing that could be wrong is fouled plugs.

The reason the car ran like a dog is that the air going in to the engine was unmeasured, so it ran it super rich to keep it running. When I popped an intercooler hose I made about 2 miles before I had to stop due to concerns about what it was doing to the engine.

if you made a considerable distance there is a chance the plugs are fouled up but that amount of unburnt fuel through an engine may not have done it any good.

i don`t have wrench for the plugs and no battery to do it 2night but i`ll do it 2morrow after work,is another think with the battery if i`m not driving the car for a few days she goes flat but if i disconect the battery it last months..what can it be?

with the battery if i`m not driving the car for a few days she goes flat but if i disconect the battery it last months..what can it be?

Your cat 1 alarm, most probably. You could get it tested for excessive current drain (which would indicate an electrical fault somewhere in the loom): the RAC did it for my car once. I didn't see him do the test, but I imagine it's just an ammeter connected in series to the battery. Unless you know what normal and abnormal values would be (which I don't), I'd take it to someone who does.

Personally, I wouldn't bother unless it's causing you problems.

is there anyway to check the fuel pump if it works?

Open the engine diagnosics port, bridge the FP and +B ports, turn the ignition onto II (do not turn the engine over) and the fuel pump will run and presurise the system. You should be able to hear the fuel circulate if you listen near the fuel rail.

I'm still going with fouled plugs on this. If they are badly fouled it might be worth dropping in some new ones, they are only £14 or so for a set of copper ones.