The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT questions and queries answered...

Graham S

Ok all, been seeing a good few people posting up about MOT advice so, due to the way people have been so good in offering parts for my recent 'Project Leroy' build, and offering so much for so little, I thought it was only fair to offer my services in return (and no, not those kind of services, I am a married man! ;)).

If anyone has any questions or worries about forth-coming MOT's etc, or have been for a test and have queries about failures etc, then feel free to ask, i'll do my best to give an 'out the book' answer.

I do work during the day, part of my job is of course MOT testing, so don't expect an answer straight away but will come on during the evenings (as soon as I can) to do my best for you guys and give you the best 'helpful' answer I can. I am not looking to make any sort of money out of this in booking in all of your MOT's, purely as the money would go into my bosses pocket not mine so it really is on a helpful basis. I hope I can help all that I can.

One useful piece of advice which is probably the biggest is for you NA guys... So far, going by the emissions database, there is NO such thing as a NA supra. The database only lists a 2JZ-GTE engine, (for the mkiv) so all of you that are worried about having no cats fitted then don't! Yes you will fail the initial 'BETS' test but it follows into a full CAT test, in which a 2JZ-GE does NOT exist, as it wasn't a UK car, so this puts it into the category of being a 'non-listed' car, as such the 'default' limits are standing idle of 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC. I have passed a certain members car, using these limits (no names given;)) and it is FAR from standard and it passes every time. As well as there is no rule stating you MUST have a cat fitted. If you can get your CO% to below 0.2/0.3% at 2.500-3000 rpm and HC to below 200ppm your fine!

I also know of a new 'rule' that is out regarding exhaust noise, in which 'anything that is louder/noiser than what is regarded as a standard noise level' is now classed as a fail. Which to be honest is most of us!

I hope I can be of help to who I can, as it is such a great club, one which I am proud to be part of.

Also, being part of my job, like myself, we drive other 'normal' cars. I do work on pretty much anything and everything and over the years have come to know alot of cars inside and out. Now, I would not class my self as a Chris Wilson (he is truely a God when it comes to cars!) but I do see the more everyday car and know what the usual problems are and can offer any advice I can. So if you have a car related question feel free to ask, I'll do what I can for you guys.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you just stick mine in the post each year mate, Cheers:D

Well, for you, I insist coming to your house and personally collecting it and driving it back to mine, and maybe MOT it at some point along the way! I'm sure it's at least 500+ miles between yours and mine! :p

So how does one ascertain what the standard level is?

Hi mate, hows the car coming along?

To be honest, not to sure, I think the wording is something along the lines of - compared to one of a similar specification with original parts fitted, in original condition. But my boss has missed out on this one I think, we get plenty of cars in with big exhausts and he hasn't failed them! But then we had a TVR in yesterday and that was loud as hell, and it was on a stock exhaust! I think yours would be fine though seeing as its far from original and you'd get through emissions no problem as its not a listed engine for a supra.

Coming along nicely thanks, a couple of new niggles. How's yours?

Good news for me then with regards to the exhaust :)

Getting all the parts together, then gonna get it all built, got to do a mad dash up, down and across the country to pick up a load of parts but worth the trip!

Technically, I suppose as long as it goes on and off with the switch you can have anything you like as long as its something illuminated to tell you its on. Even a tiny LED light somewhere would be fine, doesn't have to be any particular colour or anything. Bulb failure light would be fine, as long as you tell whoever MOT's it that its for the fog light...

Thats good enough for me, cheers :)

Any problems presenting for the test with stock wheels on the front and my 19s on the back? Tyres will all be OK.

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. As to your question, thats fine as long as the tyres on each axle are the same size, in your case.. eg fronts are both say, 235/45/17 and rears are both, say, 265/30/19. Thats just an example but hope thats clear.

Hi Graham, is there any MOT 'guidelines' on front number plates, i.e. sizes?

Tricky question that. The rules on plates keeps changing constantly, one minute all cars from 2001 must have postcodes and BSu numbers next minute they dont. Cars pre 2001 is ok to have anything really. But gotta be white front, orange rear. Plus, letters have to be of equal height and width. I'm pretty sure the plate has to be a set size, which is either the normal oblong or jap type square. I'd have to check in the book tomorrow if there is physically anything to say the exact sizes and that but can let you know tomorrow.

Tricky question that. The rules on plates keeps changing constantly, one minute all cars from 2001 must have postcodes and BSu numbers next minute they dont. Cars pre 2001 is ok to have anything really. But gotta be white front, orange rear. Plus, letters have to be of equal height and width. I'm pretty sure the plate has to be a set size, which is either the normal oblong or jap type square. I'd have to check in the book tomorrow if there is physically anything to say the exact sizes and that but can let you know tomorrow.

Cheers Graham.

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. As to your question, thats fine as long as the tyres on each axle are the same size, in your case.. eg fronts are both say, 235/45/17 and rears are both, say, 265/30/19. Thats just an example but hope thats clear.

Yep, that's clear. Wheels and tyres on each axle will match, it's just the front pair might be different from the rear pair.

Thanks very much Graham.

One useful piece of advice which is probably the biggest is for you NA guys... So far, going by the emissions database, there is NO such thing as a NA supra. The database only lists a 2JZ-GTE engine, (for the mkiv) so all of you that are worried about having no cats fitted then don't! Yes you will fail the initial 'BETS' test but it follows into a full CAT test, in which a 2JZ-GE does NOT exist, as it wasn't a UK car, so this puts it into the category of being a 'non-listed' car, as such the 'default' limits are standing idle of 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC. I have passed a certain members car, using these limits (no names given;)) and it is FAR from standard and it passes every time. As well as there is no rule stating you MUST have a cat fitted. If you can get your CO% to below 0.2/0.3% at 2.500-3000 rpm and HC to below 200ppm your fine!

Useful service :)

Does the above apply to imported TT's pre '95 as they don't have a match on the system? I've been told by another garage this is the case, could you confirm?

Thanks Jon