The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Question

Tonz

Depends on how friendly the tester is really. Damage to the side wall which has removed rubber and is more than a mm deep will generally fail or get an advisory.

Please don't get offended here but just to clarify, can have a cut or damage to any part of the tyre. The testing guide only states 'a cut or split deep enough to expose the cord/ply'. It can have a massive gash in the tyre as long aas you can't see anything its fine, weather or not it's what you or I would class it as 'safe'...

And i'm not having a go mate, promise, its just what I know being a MOT tester but you are right, you should get an advisory notice on it.

Please don't get offended here but just to clarify, can have a cut or damage to any part of the tyre. The testing guide only states 'a cut or split deep enough to expose the cord/ply'. It can have a massive gash in the tyre as long aas you can't see anything its fine, weather or not it's what you or I would class it as 'safe'...

And i'm not having a go mate, promise, its just what I know being a MOT tester but you are right, you should get an advisory notice on it.

None taken mate, im just a mechanic not a tester, I just go by what our tester has told me, but then his brother does own a tyre centre so sounds like a bit of a con going on lol. Its nice to know this as I will warn people from now on.

None taken mate, im just a mechanic not a tester, I just go by what our tester has told me, but then his brother does own a tyre centre so sounds like a bit of a con going on lol. Its nice to know this as I will warn people from now on.

Cool, I see so many people quoting what they have been told and knowing what the truth is, is so much different makes me stress as so many people seem to get getting shafted!!! I honestly don't wanna cause any hassle, I just wanna let people know what the truth is! Definately not having a pop mate.. But honestly, the tyre can be in a serious state that you or I would class it as dangerous but for MOT purposes its a different story... Have so many stupid things that i've picked up along the years it's a wonder how car do actually fail! There are ways around everything pretty much!

No worries mate, my ex boss was a con one of the main reasons I left the company

Haha, sounds like we have/had the same boss then!;) I plan on getting out as soon as I can (I'm so p£$$ed off at replacing bits that don't need doing) and setting up myself but its finding the right spot and the right price..