The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just how much of a jolt should I feel when the second turbo cuts in?

Aerotop Dave

Now I didn't think my second turbo was working because the way the second turbo had been described to me was like a real 'push back into the seat' thing... but to me it just always felt like one big wall of even acceleration.

But last night I put my foot down at around 30mph on a straight bit of road and as we accelerated and went up to the 3800-odd rpm area I did actually notice an increase in acceleration.

So is it meant to be a real jolt that you can definitely notice (almost as if your foot has been pressed even harder to the floor) or more of a surge in the acceleration curve?

The mighty brute goes in for a service in a few weeks time so I guess I'll find out one way or the other if it's working or not, but I've been keeping an eye on the rev counter during hard acceleration 'experiments' over the last few weeks. I was kinda expecting something gobsmacking to happen at the 3800-4000rpm mark and up to now I've not really noticed anything. Suddenly last night I did notice something... but it was a bit 'Is that it?'. I mean, it's still mighty fast, but I was expecting more from the second turbo.

So what's it meant to feel like?

Hi Dave,

I've got a standard J-spec TT - with mine you certainly do notice the second turbo coming in just before 4000rpm, but it's not like a divine revelation or something. I guess because you're already accelerating so fast on account of the first turbo, you don't notice the second coming online as much - if you didn't have a first turbo, you would probably notice the second turbo more... if you see what I mean?

Anyhow, I live in Essex as well (Laindon, in fact), so if you want to stop by some time and compare, just let me know.

I've got an HKS exhaust (I really must ask eyefi sometime what version it is) and both cats still in (meow*)

Might take you up on that back-to-back test sometime splurge :thumbs:

I'd quite like something magical to happen when the second turbo cuts in (just for coolness, the performance is more than enough already) but it means a decat and then we start getting into all this FCD and boost controller cobblers and I can't be arsed. Plus my No. 1 requirement in a car is always reliability and I'm concerned about turbo life.

Is it time to decat though...? (nick, if you're reading this, is that something you can do?)

*It's so corny, the cats/meow joke, but it still makes me smile. Sad git.