The mkiv Supra Owners Club

After manual conversion car wont even crank!

Kirk

Right guys I'm at the point now where I'm seriously running out of ideas with the car.

Car started out as a NA auto with a busted engine and now its got a fresh engine and a full manual conversion, including ecu and engine loom swap.

Problem is when you put the key in the ignition not a thing happens! Doesn't even attempt to spin the starter, can't hear any activity at all.

Have I missed something whilst doing the conversion? Is there some wires somewhere that need joining?

I'm pretty desperate now guys as I know for a fact work is going to pick up to huge amounts again soon and ill have no time to work on it!

Idea's??

All dash board warning lights work, the starter is well earthed.

Basicly I turn the key and nothing at all, its like say for example with a clifford alarm, you put the key in the barrel and try to fire it nothing happens but then you disarm it and it goes. That best way I can describe it

The autobox and engine loom was junked mate and all replaced with manual looms. The only things left on the car autobox related are the 4 plugs which plug into the shifter.

Its almost as if the car is just waiting for a signal from somewhere to prime the pump and send a feed to the starter..

Is the pump coming on and ciculating fuel through the rail (with the two ports on the diag box bridged, ign on II)? This question is leading somewhere!

Edit - also, have you checked for error codes? If the light is out, and there's no pressure, I think I know what it might be.

No the pumps not priming at all, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything, there no feed to it at all. As I said its almost as its waiting for some signal from somewhere before sending feeds out.

Not checked for error codes yet, probly should have a look and see if its showing out.

Just baffles me as everything is where it should be, all sensors plugged, the lot.

if the lights are on it wont be the ignition switch

saying that in my corrado i had a problem with turning the key on and the dash lights come on, but turn to start and nothing. Give it a jiggle and it worked but then after a few months just didnt start.

Found out it was he ingtion barrel, but i dont think that would be the problem in this case

Sounds stupid but....have u checked all fuses? Maybe a relay problem

No the pumps not priming at all, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything, there no feed to it at all. As I said its almost as its waiting for some signal from somewhere before sending feeds out.

Not checked for error codes yet, probly should have a look and see if its showing out.

Just baffles me as everything is where it should be, all sensors plugged, the lot.

Definetly check for error codes.

Have you tried priming the fuel system using the diag bridge I mentioned before? This will help rule out a general loom/ecu issue. Let me know if you don't know what I'm on about :D

However, if the pumps are not priming (and assuming it's not an alarm issue), it sounds like the interior loom is not correctly connected to the engine loom.

Check the large orange plug up near the ECU and ensure it's secure and the white clip fully pressed down and into place. I had this issue after fiting my NA engine and gearbox, the symptoms were exactly the same as you have described.

If that's okay, then it could be a connection issue with the ignition plug on the steering column.

Every single connector has been checked, checked twice and then once more to be 100% sure. It has the original remote central locking from factory but i cant see that immobilising the car? :shrug:

It did have a starter button bodged into the ignition wiring. Ive pulled it all out now and put it back together in a bit of a dodgy way ill admit but only as a temp solution.

Its realy baffling me this now :think:

stupid thought, but on an auto it won't start if the gear isn't in park, are you sure the car doesn't think it's not in park ?

Mike

Cars running a manual ecu now mate so it wont be looking for that although i did think about it and thought maybe some of them wires needed joining which go to the auto shifter.

Daryll ill be honest, ive never tried or heard about that particular tip. Care to share? :D

Cars running a manual ecu now mate so it wont be looking for that although i did think about it and thought maybe some of them wires needed joining which go to the auto shifter.

The 3 or 4 plugs that used to connect to the shifter inside the car just need unplugging and left alone. The inhintor needs bridging on the box, but you've already done that..

Daryll ill be honest, ive never tried or heard about that particular tip. Care to share? :D

Certainly :D

bridge the FP and +B terminals in the engine diagnostics port (the one on the front of the intake manifold), switch the ign onto II. This should switch on the fuel pump system, if all is well you should hear the pump and listening down near the fuel rail you should be able to hear the fuel flowing through

Let us know if that is working. If it is, then the dash loom is talking to the engine loom, so you can rule out a connection issue

Gotcha, ill try that one tomorrow :thumbs:

Now do you by anychance has the pin layout of the diagnostics plug so i bridge the right ones, electrics have never been one of my strong points :innocent:

Easy mate, the pin outs are coded and stamped on the inside of the diag cover :) For info, looking from the front of the car, it's the top left and bottom left pins.