The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo seals again??

dr_jekyll

i have just put my new gearbox in and took my car for a run today toi test it. when i stoped after a 10 min drive i notice a few plumbes of blu oil smoke float past the window again.

it smokes as take off for the forst 30 seconds of driving then clear and is fine , then if i leave it to idle agin for a minuet it will not smoke if i rev it but as i take off it will smoke again.

dose not smoke on boost or wot,

is this the turbo oil seal again?

i have just put my new gearbox in and took my car for a run today toi test it. when i stoped after a 10 min drive i notice a few plumbes of blu oil smoke float past the window again.

it smokes as take off for the forst 30 seconds of driving then clear and is fine , then if i leave it to idle agin for a minuet it will not smoke if i rev it but as i take off it will smoke again.

dose not smoke on boost or wot,

is this the turbo oil seal again?

This is a shame you seem to go from one issue to another :( hope you get it sorted. Nice to meet you today, sorry didn't get more time to chat. You'll have to make the Jap Wales meets.

They're smoking when he's pulling away probably due to the residual smoke from the initial stop. His description of pulling to a stop then seeing plumes of smoke go past is turbo seals all over. Also when he revs at a standstill and lifts off he gets smoke, that's from the vacuum created while the revs are dropping, then the positive isle pressure pushes the smoke out.

im using mobile 1 super. its a garret gt4088 turbo , the last time this happend i baught a new turbo , i thaught if i baught an expensive branded turbo it would last loinger than my xs power one but seems not to be the case.

im going to leave this one in as i cant spend moore money on the car at the mo , it should be ok asd long as i monitor my oil levels.

This is a shame you seem to go from one issue to another :( hope you get it sorted. Nice to meet you today, sorry didn't get more time to chat. You'll have to make the Jap Wales meets.

was nice to meet you too mate. you car looked awsome on track and you set some good times compaired to a few of the caterhams and that posrche ( i had my stopwatch out ;) )

i will try to make them but everytime im lined up for one something stops me from making it but i will try.

They're smoking when he's pulling away probably due to the residual smoke from the initial stop. His description of pulling to a stop then seeing plumes of smoke go past is turbo seals all over. Also when he revs at a standstill and lifts off he gets smoke, that's from the vacuum created while the revs are dropping, then the positive isle pressure pushes the smoke out.

All in my experience as I said :) maybe try a heavier oil to rull that out?

If its stem seals then it should smoke when you start it for a few seconds then clear.

Thats what mine did but they also smoked on the overrun but that was very hard to see from inside the car.

My seals are now replaced and the old ones were totally shot

mine smokes a bit on the overrun sometimes, not every time ( i have follwed the car for a few miles.) it dose not smoke atall when cold. only when fully up to temp.

my thaughs are turbo seals , it is verry intermittent the same as when my last turbo seals began to die ( last year )

well at my current rate of 1 turbo a year i dont think im going to bother with another expensive one .

i am building another engine i intend to fit next year so for the remainder of this engines term i think i will just cheap out and put one of these on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350333481843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the last cheapy i had lasted the same amount of time as my garret one so might aswell for that price.