The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Viscous fan performance

Swampy442

I think it was calculated somewhere here a while ago and the flow was about the same. The viscous fan being preferred as they are cowled. However, unless you have a current overheating problem, it's pretty much pointless changing, isn't it?

I know the shroud makes a huge difference to the efficiency of it, Ive got an Aristo which has the same fan but a crazy hydraulic power unit combined with the water pump. So when the pump goes whats best, Supra pump and viscous fan or electrics.

As I said its purely hypothetical :)

I'd love to know the thinking behind the hydraulic-drive fans. It seems like a really complicated solution to a non-existent problem.

Toyota used them on the first generation of the 1JZ (Mk3 Supra) and 2JZ (Aristo), then abandoned the idea in favour of an ordinary viscous arrangement on the Soarer and Mk4.

Since the viscous fan seems to be more than adequate, why on earth did they design and engineer such a complicated system?